Sunday, May 23, 2021

Carburn Park to Fish Creek Park May 23, 2021

Today's forecast told me you better get out early!  I did exactly that hitting the pathway around Carburn Park and then all the way to Fish Creek Park and back.  I went with hopes of coming home feeling more fulfilled than I did from yesterday's 15km walk.  Saturday's top sightings were deer chasing a coyote through Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and also a goose biting a man's leg.  While this morning's weather was more favourable I hoped the sights would be too.

The colours at the park are perking up!

I aimed for the dirt path that follows the river and enjoyed the sights of the ducks performing their morning rituals and the sounds of the birds that I could yet not see.  When I arrived back at the pond I took a minute to admire a Female Common Goldeneye perched on a log.  She eyed me with a piercing eye.  At the time I did not notice the fluff underneath her.  Then just like that, she took off into the water and so did her three ducklings that were underneath her.  They were entertaining and such a sweet sight to see!
Songs were coming from everywhere.  These are a few of the sparrows I spotted: top left - Song Sparrow, bottom two - Clay-Coloured Sparrows.  The top right bird may be a Male Tennessee Warbler.  Thank you to my "bird nerd" friend for assisting me with sparrow identification.   I still wonder when our world gets back to some kind of normal, will I remain having this new found "bird nerd" identity I have been embracing!
It was a beautiful morning to meander the dirt trails along the Bow River at Fish Creek Park.  
Duck sightings were plentiful this morning. I know for sure the Male Common Goldeneye from the round white cheek patch.  I have no doubt in identifying the Male Wood Duck, they are so colourful and to me they look like a plastic toy.  I am learning about the Wigeons and I can say this is an American Wigeon, noticing the green swipe running back from the eye.  The bottom two ducks are a couple and stuck together the entire time.  They are the Female & Male Common Mergansers.   
I think people were on the same page as me and knew to be "out & about" early.  
While the paved paths became very busy, the dirt trails were not. 

Weather-wise this May long weekend is offering up what it typically does giving us rain, snow, wind, cold. Where there are clear open windows of opportunity then it is time to wander!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.