Monday, May 31, 2021

Jasper National Park May 31, 2021

Wilcox Pass 

Deja-Vu! I had such a wonderful experience during last year's visit to Jasper in June, I wanted to go again this June.  While the world is still the way it is, with families not road tripping yet, with conditions not quite ripe for high peak adventures, this month is good for wide open roads with no traffic plus quiet trails.    Also accommodations of all kinds are readily available so no booking long in advance is necessary.  I waited and I watched then when a long stretch of gorgeous weather was presented, I went for it!         

To break up the long drive and to pass time before I could check into my home away from home, I picked the hike up to Wilcox Pass as a perfect place to pass some hours.  I got the first section through the trees over with as quick as I could because I knew what I was in for! Then when it opened up, boy did it open up!

I could see across to the Columbia Icefields.

looking back as I continued ascending the trail towards Wilcox Pass
Reports told me there was still lots of snow higher up and those reports proved to be true.  In years past when I hiked up here, I continued over to that meadow but that would not be happening on this visit.
seeing the tour buses on the Athabasca Glacier and the people walking on it
People had been up on the meadows near the pass on prior days and I could see a couple ahead of me.  A path was made through the snow which I followed.  The snow was still firm enough that I did not sink too far.  
continuing a bit higher to dry sections
This place looked so different with so much snow.  I could not see the high point where the pass sign is and I was not comfortable searching for it or even going any further where the snow was becoming deeper.  I found a bare dry high spot that had loads of rocks.  I built my own summit cairn, captured my summit shot then dismantled the cairn. This was a great spot to sit awhile, snack and savour the scenery.  
hiking back from where I came and seeing the Icefield Parkway below
For some people, this is a destination point instead of carrying on higher to Wilcox Pass.  
It offers an amazing view.  I settled in for a bit. 

With only just about 20 minutes of hiking left, and just over an hour drive ahead of me, I packed up and went on with my day.  I was ready to get to my home away from home.  I checked in, unpacked, put my feet up and let the sound of the Athabasca River running lull me into relaxation!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.