Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Prairie Mountain Loop May 12, 2021

If I aim for Prairie Mountain early morning on a mid-week day at this time of year, then the mud and ice further up on the steep ascent sections should still be frozen plus ownership should be at a very high percentage!  That was my thinking which turned out being right on the mark. Instead of returning the way I came, I opted for the Loop route to avoid what would become a sloppy slushy steep descent back down while facing many people on their on way up.  

The lower section of the trail was free of snow and mud.      
By the time I reached the second steep section, sporting my spikes was a necessity and I left them on all the way to the summit.  An abundance of snow remains in the open spaces.  No one had veered off trail in either direction.  A large long cornice runs along the edge.
As I reached the summit a gentleman was packing up his gear to hit the trail back.  I owned the summit of Prairie Mountain!  It was a beautiful early morning up here with just enough of a breeze to make the flag wave.  The sun was high and bright with a bit of white wispiness in the sky.

I think this big solid snowman will be around for some time to come.  
After capturing many photos from the summit, savouring my snack and some sips, it was then time to begin the hike off the summit down the backside towards the west ridge.  The route was obvious thanks to the packed trail in the deep snow.  Before the summit went out of sight, I looked back to get one last photo of the flag and the snowman.
deep snow and a cornice frame the bottom of Moose Mountain
view of Moose Mountain
It was now time to head into the forest and follow the gentle downhill trail for about four kilometres until it intersects with Prairie Creek Trail.  Thank goodness others had been on prior days and created the packed trail in the deep snow.  I did some homework before hand to see that this had occurred, otherwise I would not have opted to do the Loop.

It was a quick trip descending through the forest and then I popped out into the meadow, crossed the meadow and picked up the Prairie Creek Trail.  I put my spikes away as this trail was snow and ice free.  It was not mud free though.  Horses had been and churned up the ground to create a muddy mess.
It is prime crocus season in the Foothills.

I did not plan for the jet stream to look like it was coming out of the crocus!
The jet stream went high over head and then continued on its way! It was time now for me to continue on my way.  There was still a bit of ground to cover but I knew the scenic parts were now past so I just kept my head down making my way through the mud.

It had been many years since I hiked the Prairie Mountain Loop.  
The way I attacked it today turned out being pretty perfect.   
For that I am thankful!  

 

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have seen you post so many crocus photos during the season as you have this year. So may more hikes thanks to retirement! I love your final 'fullstop' sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantástico reportaje y una maravilla de blog, me ha gustado mucho. Enhorabuena Alexandra, saludos desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping in for a visit from the north of Spain and leaving your comment.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.