Thursday, May 27, 2021

Ford Knoll Loop May 27, 2021

What would this hike look like in the springtime was what I was wondering!  I had been twice before but that was in autumn.  The entire loop of Ford Knoll turned out being snow-free, ice-free and dry which I was thankful for.  Yet still, it looks like full on winter in the highest far off peaks. After parking at The Pond, crossing the road, I then aimed for the open gate to begin the uphill hike in the forest. 
perfect trail conditions
near the top, still no snow, peaks begin peeking through
It's easy to miss the trail that spurts off leading to this opening.  I paid attention to not pass it by.  The dirt Powderface Trail road is below which is now open for the season to drive.  Forgetmenot Ridge is over there and it is looking doable, that is if crossing the river is doable as we get into the full swing of run-off season. 
There is another little trail off to the side which is easier to spot that leads to a location offering wide open vistas.  That's Nihahi Ridge!  It has been years since I hiked up there which means I should add it to my list of places to venture to again.  
There were numerous one-offs that I spotted today.  These are them except for one, which if you continue reading this post, you will come upon that exception.  Seeing crocuses was the furthest thing from my mind and this one stood alone with no others anywhere to be seen.  It was not until I got down and closer with our earth that I realized this was a mushroom.  It stood alone with no others anywhere to be seen.  What are you little bird?  My friend says not all birds are meant to be identified!  It stood alone with no others anywhere to be seen.  With my head down watching my footing, I spotted this heart-shaped rock on the edge of the trail.  There is so much I am loving about this day!    
a view of the section of Nihahi Ridge that I would venture to if I did venture that way
The trail remained clear and dry on the descent.  
While it looked like spring, I could smell spring too! Ahhh!
a location shot before aiming for the exit
The Exit!
After closing the gate behind me and strolling through the meadow to cross the road, I then hit up the trail that follows the Little Elbow River to take me back to the parking lot.  If you look very closely, in the middle of the photo well below the highest peak, you will see a short straight horizontal line, that is the pink suspension bridge that crosses the river leading to the Wildhorse Trail.    
Speaking of wild horses, the mustangs were hanging out a very short distance off the pathway.   
That one-off exception I wrote about earlier, here it is, a baby mustang napping! There was only one baby and it laid curled up all alone as the guardians guarded over it while savouring lunch.  This was the sweetest most heart-melting thing.  This was the view that I ended my hike with, a mere few minutes later I reached my car and headed on home smiling and sighing! 




2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.