Monday, May 3, 2021

Barrier Lake Fire Lookout May 3, 2021

It's a weekday again which means it's time for me to head west!  After doing a little trail conditions homework for getting up to the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout on Yates Mountain, that then became my destination for today. Forecasts said too that it would be a pleasant stroll across the dam and it sure was.  Barrier Lake is mostly free of ice with the odd slice floating about and also some still close to the shore. Baldy looked beautiful across the way. 

The lower trail was dry without snow or ice but a bit further up a small amount of snow remained on the trees and off trail.  Even further up the trail then became snow and ice covered with sections of firm mud on the way up reverting to sloppy mud on the way down after the temperature went up.  
What a sweet surprise to see this Red-Breasted Nuthatch!
I arrived at the first viewpoint spending only a minute to capture this photograph.
looking west towards the ridge 
As I neared the Lookout location, I met a man already on his way back down.  There was no one else here except for the Lookout Lad who was going about his business.  When the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout is open for business, we can only go as far as the picnic table and the helicopter pad.  This is my destination shot and also where I settled for some snacks,  while enjoying the sights and breathing in the magnificent fresh mountain air.  
The snowpack is low this year.  
When a trio approached for their destination visit, it was time for me to pack up and begin descending.  This is looking towards Yamnuska and the neighbouring peaks west from there.  Yamnuska will be closed the middle of May for trail reconstruction to make it a safer experience.
After a few minutes of admiration of the view, I headed into the forest aiming down towards the higher viewpoint and then the lower one then to the switchbacks for the winding hike down to Barrier Lake and the dam.  It was still pleasant enough to just stroll across the dam back to my car.   
While driving home, I thought about a few things.  I thought about how thankful I am I get to hike on a weekday during these crazy times in our world.  I thought about the Lookout Lad and he is just a lad.  He arrived four days ago and he realizes what he will be in for this summer with hundreds of visitors every day to his surroundings all hours of the day.  I wondered what this summer will be like in Kananaskis with the new "conservation fee" of $15.00/day or $90.00/year coming into effect June 1st.  Last summer so many more people learned that "life begins at Highway 40".  I only hope for the best for this piece of paradise called Kananaskis!  


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for refreshing the memories again. It was mid May 2016 when I hiked this trail with Stuart and Frank. Much, much more snow then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our snow pack was low this winter and now we have such dry conditions. There is rain in the forecast for this weekend which is much needed.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.