Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Jasper National Park June 1, 2021

Valley of Five Lakes

The Valley of Five Lakes hike was on my list for a re-do some day.  I had been once a few years back during wildfire season when a cloud of smoke hoovered over the entire Park, actually it shrouded the entire province. Views were dull and grey.  Last year the parking lot was pretty much packed and that was a big deterrent for me.  This time my stars aligned!  Look at that sky, look at that parking lot!
The trail which eventually descends from the parking lot is a rooty, rocky, steep at times pathway.  You cross a bridge over a creek then reach this open meadow.  From here I began the hike in a counter-clockwise direction.  
It was a bright, warm, beautiful morning and I shared this place with no one.  
Doing the hike in this direction brings you to the fifth lake first.
All conditions were perfect for seeing reflections and for seeing the many shades of blue and green.  The trail was  higher up at times affording an overall view and other times you could touch the water.  There was still no one here that I knew off so I made sure to be loud and to be aware of my surroundings.    
The famous red chairs are everywhere in the National Parks in Canada.  
Instead of relaxing in the red chairs, I opted to get up close with the water's edge.  
up above again and now looking back to where I just was 
at another lake I spotted this female either a Common Goldeneye or a Barrow's Goldeneye
(with that much orange on the bill I am leaning towards a Barrow's)
(but the rounded head tells me it's a Common)
(or is that a flat head making it a Barrow's)
I finally arrived at the first lake and this is where I would carry on with the loop rather than hitting up a trail that makes its way back to Jasper. The conditions remained calm and by now it is quite warm.  I still spotted no one so remained vigilant.  
beautiful view and reflection
After visiting the last lake which is actually the first lake, the route then heads into the forest and eventually comes out to that meadow where I was a little while back beginning to go counter-clockwise. I just had to now cross back over that bridge and ascend up through the forest to the parking lot.  By now I was beginning to see others just starting the hike.

I savoured some snacks when I got to my car then drove off aiming for another trailhead!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.