Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Nose Creek June 8, 2021

What a perfect way to start a day, having your senses of seeing, hearing and smelling ignited by Mother Nature's early June offerings.  The whole of Confluence Park from the Birth Forest to Nose Creek has come alive with colour.  Now that crocus season is past it's time for other wildflowers to present themselves.  I ventured there this morning with a plan to savour all the new spring shades.   It turned into a ten kilometre wander of pure joyful wonderment!    



Additional bird varieties are also presenting themselves.  There were songs of all sorts filling the morning air, many of which I could hear but could not see.  I did see this sweet Female American Goldfinch who stuck around long enough for me to get up close.  The Female Red-Winged Blackbird looked a bit disheveled.  This "little brown job" looks like a Lincoln Sparrow.  The Male Brown-Headed Cowbird also allowed me to get close enough.  I have seen a few of these recently but I had not been able to get a good photo in good light that shows its true colours which makes for easier identification.

Well now, about the ducks!  They have become so plentiful in this park and now there are more than just mallards.  They have become confusing for me to ID.  The little ones are growing and they are no longer sticking with their parents.  The ducks are all moving about being social with each other, mixing up all the varieties.  This first duck that was on its own for the entire time when I saw it first until near the end of my ten kms wander is a Male Northern Shoveler.  I zoomed in close to get a photo of this small young thing!  I am going to just call it a young duck. The Female and Male Blue Winged Teals were also quite small so I am assuming young. I wondered were they brother and sister or were they a couple already at this young age in their life!      

As the days go on this Park is going to explode with even more colour wildflowers and I will be watching for those.  I bet too the parade of bird songs will include more new hits which I will listen for.  


2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.