Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Jasper National Park June 1, 2021

Old Fort Point Loop

The sun was blazing down, the temperature sky-rocketed, yet even still,  I was thankful I was in Jasper National Park right now hiking Old Fort Point Loop.  The trail winds flatly through the forest for some time before the climb begins.   The first section is not scenic and being flat it's easy to make good time.  Also because there was a bear warning sign at the trailhead, I wanted this part over with as fast as possible.

I got through the flat, up the climb, then popped out to where the views began!

These were the only calypso orchids I spotted today.
I arrived at those famous red chairs that sit in the wide open meadow where the views are of 360 degrees.  I was here last year but it was a dull grey day.  Yet back then it was later June and the meadow was carpeted with wildflowers, not so today.  The blue sky and sunshine made up for the lack of flowers. 
Just because I took a picture of this flower does not mean I need to identify it!  That's just like all birds are not meant to be identified! I like how this flower grew up straight in front of The Whistlers.
So here we have what my friend refers to as "little brown jobs"!  Sparrows!  They are a task to ID!  After referring to my bird book and my two sparrow charts, I am going to say this is a Chipping Sparrow.  I back up my ID with the following:  it has a rufous cap, black eyeliner, if you look close you can see a white eyebrow, all dark bill and light coloured legs and plain coloured underneath.
I was just about at the top of the Loop and was thankful for this sheltered spot where the tree frames The Whistlers.  A few minutes were needed here to quench my thirst and clear some moisture from my face.   
view of The Whistlers from the top of Old Fort Point Loop
Here we have another "little brown job"! 
Or maybe this is not a sparrow!  
What have I gotten my self into becoming a bird nerd!  
After referring to my bird book and reviewing other peoples' images, 
I believe this to be a Townsend's Solitaire.
my destination shot
From the top you also get a bird's eye view of Lac Beauvert and Jasper Park Lodge to the right.
There is the town of Jasper straight ahead and also the Athabasca River running from one end to the other in the middle  of the photo.  I am aiming for that trail in the middle of the photo that goes across that open meadow.  After that are two sets of steep rock stairs then steep wood stairs back down to the parking lot.  
I felt fulfilled from both hikes today.  The best way to top off hiking was to sit and do nothing except for down a cold beer and.....
.....watch the entertainment float by on the Athabasca River!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.