Saturday, June 26, 2021

Carburn Park June 25, 2021

They said to enjoy the cool 29C today then brace for the long stretch of record breaking dangerous heat!  I heeded that advice and hit Carburn Park where I could be by water for the entire 10kms.  There would be no owning the area during these early morning hours, dozens and dozens heeded the same advice.  It's quite easy to get loads of kilometres covered from this location and there is beauty in all directions.  

This was my starting point.

After a lap around the pond, I headed to the dirt paths that follow along the Bow River and that also meander in and out of the trees.  This sight caught my eye as it looks like the clouds are exploding out of the trees. 
There were three American White Pelicans hanging out, a single and a couple.
reflection perfection
Yellow Warbler
This sparrow looks like it has a fresh new crew cut!  
As I was heading towards Fish Creek, I noticed a nest on a power pole which I had not seen in previous visits.  I zoomed in to see if anyone was home and this is what I captured.  It did not stay long and in a matter of a few seconds it took off soaring the skies.  I followed the Osprey....
 ...until it landed! 
When I reached the entrance to Fish Creek Provincial Park, I did a turn-about and headed back to Carburn Park.  After all that rain we had yesterday, the ponds and creeks are full and the green is greener than green.  
archway framing the creek and the Bow River

I'm thankful we have many water spots in the city where relief from the heat can be found.



2 comments:

  1. Your heat wave sounds awful! It doesn't seem that long ago that the snow was on the ground. This has been a beautiful morning. Are you limited to how far you can travel out of Calgary still?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not restricted on far out of Calgary we can travel, but there are still issues with sharing car rides to the trailheads so I have not been doing as much. With the long drives on my own to and from the hikes, I do better with staying overnight at locations. All restrictions for Alberta will be lifted on July 1st.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.