Friday, June 4, 2021

Jasper National Park June 4, 2021

 Good Morning & Good-Bye

The Drive Home

It was a beautiful sight once again to the start of another day in Jasper National Park.  I took my coffee to the Athabasca River edge to drink in the sunrise shades.  In a couple of hours I would be hitting the highway to home.  Before even leaving, I already know I will come back again during the off season. Maybe this autumn!  


Before starting with my story to home, I want to share these photos with you.  These were taken on my first day on the way to Jasper near the Wilcox Pass parking lot.  If you look close you can see the baby mountain goat.  I have seen mountain goats before and with young ones but this was my first time seeing a brand new baby.  
a close up view

I checked out of my cabin, loaded up my car and aimed for the Icefield Parkway.  I knew I would be in for an amazing road trip home.  I owned the Parkway in the direction I was going which meant it was very easy to pull off here and there to admire the views.
having its breakfast on the roadside
There are many locations that are pull-offs for views.  
Tangle Falls
aiming for the Columbia Icefields and the Athabasca Glacier
There is still lots of snow at Parker Ridge.  I could see a path through the snow further ahead in the trees so people have been on prior days.  I am not sure how far they got.  I love this hike but with all the snow and the hot conditions, it would not be safe.
Howse Pass viewpoint
It was time for a bathroom break so I pulled into this little campground area.  
Oh Oh, I think I will have to hold on a little longer.
The next spot that offers a bathroom break spot was Bow Lake.  While here I ended up meandering around again like I did on Monday on the way to Jasper.  What a difference a few days makes.  The snow on the roadway to the Lodge is all melted and more of the ice in the lake has melted.  
There was a group of ducks hanging out in Bow Lake.  I did not take time to identify them while watching them but did notice some looked different than what I had seen before.  The one on the right seems out of place, it is a female Common Merganser.  The whole time she kept to the side away from the others by herself.  The other ducks I believe are male (black & white) and female (brown)  Lesser Scaup.  
in the grand scheme of life, the ducks are a tiny treasure in this big world
view as I walked what trails were dry
I took one last look back then it was time to carry on with heading home.....

.....with many wonderful memories to hold close until I get to venture this way again!




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your amazing week in the Jasper area! Glorious photos of glorious scenery, glorious weather & glorious wild life (and why am I not surprised they included bears 😳). What a perfect week of adventures. Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you the day I hike the Old Fort Point Loop. At the top I could see off to the Jasper Park Lodge golf course and it looked beautiful!

      Delete
  2. So wonderful to revisit through your eyes, pen and camera, Alexandra. You live in an amazingly beautiful part of the world and enjoy it to the max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Icefield Parkway is quite something! I entered it as a suggestion to become one of the Virtual Challenge Conqueror events.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.