Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Jasper National Park June 2, 2021

Maligne Lake Trails

The plan of attack for today was to just park my car at the Maligne Lake parking lot then gear up and go hike numerous trails connecting them one way or another then return to my car when all was said and done.   The drive along that crazy winding narrow road was a good experience this morning as I was the only one heading that way at the time when I was heading that way.  

It was quite a cool start out here and a few layers were necessary.  That cool fresh air was as still as could be and there was not a ripple to be seen in Maligne Lake.  Kayakers were already on the Lake when I started to hike the Mary Schaffer Trail from the boathouse.
the kayaking and canoeing season is ready to go on Maligne Lake
a flock of Canada Geese
this deer photo-bombed my photo and actually I think it became the main subject
As I hiked along the Mary Schaffer Trail, at every change possible I scooted on down to the edge of the lake. Reports said that loons could be spotted in the mornings and my hope was to see one.  I saw one!  I stood silently and patiently then slowly the Common Loon worked its way in my direction.  How beautiful!
I carried on along the trail and before it veers around the corner and heads into the forest, I was presented with this view.  I don't think it could look more perfect than this!  
my early morning location shot
I completed the Mary Schaffer Loop and it took me past my car so I made a quick stop and changed into shorts plus dropped a couple of heavy tops.  In a matter of minutes I was on my way again with plans to follow a path leading to the Moose Lake Loop Trail.  As the path crosses the bridge movement in a tree caught my eye.  This Osprey was watching over the river .
I reached the start of the Moose Lake Loop Trail, there was the Long Moose which is unmaintained and then there is the Moose which is maintained.  I went for the Moose!  It's a forested trail which was ideal as it provided shelter from the sun.  I reached Moose Lake.  Seeing it live, it appeared more green than the colour shown here.
Moose Lake from another vantage spot
After completing the Moose Lake Loop, I aimed for the beginning of the Skyline Trail to hike to two more lakes. A couple of kilometres along this trail are Mona and Lorraine Lakes.  I still had not seen any other hikers and was pretty positive there would be none here as the backpacking section of the Skyline Trail is still covered in deep snow.  
I hiked to Mona Lake first which was the furthest away of the two.  
me at Mona Lake
On the way back from Mona Lake to Lorraine Lake, I spotted this on the lower part of a slope on the side of the trail.  I am thinking it is some kind of mushroom.
I also spotted a trio of calypso orchids.
I veered off for the short hike into Lorraine Lake. It was so incredibly peaceful and beautiful here.
Some day maybe I will backpack the Skyline Trail but for today it was time to head back.  It was all gently downhill from here on a dry trail.  I was still thankful for the trees and the shelter they provided.  It had turned into a hot day.  I was warned this would be the hottest day of the week. 
Back to Maligne Lake!  
When I arrived back at my car, I pulled out my lawn chair and settled in it for a bit to cool down, down more water, and fill up on snacks.  Then it was time to hit that road and make my way back to my home away from home.  While on that road, I had to stop to let a bear cross the road.  I know to have my camera ready when driving these roads.  But, after I got this photo and put my camera down then both hands on the wheel, two of the tinest cubs I ever did see, jumped out of the bushes and darted across the road to catch up to Mom.  They were too quick for me to capture a photo.  
When I got back to the cabin, I unloaded my gear from the car, freshened up a tad, opened a bottle of beer then strolled to the lawn chairs by the Athabasca River to once again enjoy the entertainment, savour sips and be lulled away to relaxation. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.