Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park June 22, 2021

Today was to be the hottest of the few.  I wanted to cover 10kms, so went for an early start so that I could be finished before the heat of the day hit.  I arrived at the parking lot at Glenbow Ranch to see others were on the same page as me.   This was a pretty place to be this morning right from the start.  

Along the main trail near the Visitor Centre and Education Centre 
were signs showing childrens' drawings and stories of what one might see in The Park.      
My hopes for today were to see wildflowers and birds and just pretty views in general. I always know I will have success with that here.  Before beginning the descent into the valley, Mountain Bluebirds were scurrying about doing their morning business.  This is a Male Mountain Bluebird.

This is a somewhat fluffed up Female Mountain Bluebird.  
I did wonder if it was a juvenile because it looks like a speckled fluff ball.  
Yodel was open again so once at the bottom of the big hill, I veered to the left and climbed again to the top of Yodel.  It's my favourite trail because it affords a grand overall view plus it is lined with wildflowers and the birds come to visit the many birdhouses on the fence posts.
It's a brand new summer at Glenbow Ranch and the flowers are coming alive!
After hiking the Yodel ridge top, I descended the other end and made my way across the tracks and down to the edge of the Bow River.  It was still early yet hot already so being by the river was a reprieve.  It was busy with birds here so I spent some time and watched their comings and goings.  This would be a Male Baltimore Oriole.  It was being hounded by other black birds. 
On the river's edge, I spotted this bird, one which looked new to me.  After checking my bird book, I believe this is a Male Brewer's Blackbird.  
This is possibly a Female Brewer's Blackbird.  
The Bow River is running high.
After investing enough time by The River, I headed back across the tracks, walked along the valley bottom to the pond and then began the climb back up to the Visitor Centre.  There were no visitors to The Pond so I did not bother going out onto the viewing platform.
The views hiking back up to the top were outstanding.  The wild roses were plentiful and it was not until I got home and looked at my photos, that I noticed I captured a bee aiming for the rose.  I don't think I could have snapped this perfect shot if I tried.  
view from the top of the river & valley below and the mountains to the far west
Three hours later I felt content plus fulfilled and ready to get on with this beautiful summer's day. 


2 comments:

  1. I don't always have time any more, but a visit to your blog is like a close visit to our glorious nature. I love the bee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos & love the bonus bee too! Norma

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.