Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Plain of Six Glaciers June 30, 2021

The weather statement said this would be the hottest day of them all and I could tell that it would be when I went out onto my balcony to enjoy my morning coffee.  It felt very warm already and the sky was hot pink!  For the thirty minutes out here, I lived in those moments being thankful for where I was and what was in front of me.  
There were only a couple dozen cars at the Lake Louise parking lot when I arrived.  My original intentions were to walk the 1.7kms to Lake Louise and save on the $11.70 parking fee (new parking fee put in place this summer to park at Lake Louise).  I decided to drive there and pay as I did not really want any extra walking than was truly necessary with the heat that was forecasted.   I parked, I paid, I packed on my pack and pushed forward towards Lake Louise to begin The Plain of Six Glaciers hike.

The mountains were engulfed in alpenglow!  The air was still and it was very warm already at 6:00am.  This photo of Lake Louise is like non other I have taken.  The reflection is in the water that covers the sidewalk where the lake overflowed the rock borders. 
a view of Lake Louise further along the walkway
I did not spend too much time at The Lake,  my thinking was I would cool off in it on the way back.  The pathway was flooded in many areas and at times for long stretches.  In some places it was easy to get around but in others, not so much.  I knew it would be worse for the return trip.  I did my best at keeping my boots dry but thankfully my boots are waterproof.  This is one flooded section that afforded a beautiful reflection. 
looking back at The Chateau and the sun peeking above the mountain and through the trees
the water is licking the bottom of the boardwalk but is not covering it yet
avalanche coming off Mount Lefroy
that's the horse trail at the bottom and the people trail follows the rockwall in the middle
along the section of trail that follows close to the rockwall
As you round the corner to where the bridge, bench and tea house are, the trail is flooded.
I decided to make this my turn around point and not continue on to the lookout.  I have been many times before and today I would rather less time on the trail and have more time by Lake Louise when I get back.  
I settled in for a little while to savour some snacks and replenish the sunscreen.
Before heading back, I checked out the tea house. It was not open yet but I did see two people sitting behind the ornamental display in the middle.  Shortly after I left, I saw two people heading up with big backpacks on.  There was probably going to be a shift change.  
yellow columbine lined parts of the traill
paintbrush wildflowers paired with glacier capped Mount Lefroy
When I arrived back at Lake Louise, I found the perfect spot to sit and put my feet in the lake.  The water was quite high and was covering the lower rock steps.   I sat on the upper steps and put my feet on the steps that were under water.  I got lost in the enjoyment of doing this and time passed.  Eventually I did move on, back to my car then back to my shaded balcony.

I put the moose back on the door knob!
There is nothing more I could ask for today!

 

1 comment:

  1. So much to ooh and aah about in this hike except for the heat and damage it is doing. Sensational vistas, Let's hope this is the worst of summer with normal temps to follow throughout.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.