Thursday, June 3, 2021

Jasper National Park June 3, 2021

Talbot Lake and Ridge

As if I have not seen enough lakes already on this visit to Jasper National Park, Talbot Lake is another one I thought might be nice to check out. It is just off the Yellowhead Highway a short drive east of Jasper and it offers a short steep hike to a ridge above the Lake.  As I was driving from the Horseshoe Lake parking lot to the Talbot Lake trailhead, the clouds began to build yet they did not look threatening so I continued with my plan.

The pullout parking lot sits right at Talbot Lake.  A sandy trail leads to the lakeshore which I followed to case out the place.  I could see the ridge to the right which was my destination.
I followed the sandy trail through the bushes and checked out each spur as I went along.  Even with the dull lighting, the colours in the lake were incredible.  I also got a clearer view of the ridge and the trail leading up to it.
continuing along the sandy trail
I exited the bushes and the trees continuing to follow a trail to the open slope below the ridge.
Before pushing on to the top, I turned back to see the Yellowhead Highway wind its way between Talbot Lake and Jasper Lake (a portion of the Athabasca River).  The clouds were quite grey and ominous looking now and the wind picked up immensely.  
The ridge was a cool place to be, weather-wise and sceney-wise. Before wandering around on the ridge, I captured my destination shot right away in case the weather took a turn for the worse.  The views were 360 degrees and my only wish was for a clearer sky for more beautiful sights.
Instead of descending along the trail I ascended, I veered to my right to get a closer look at Talbot Lake from a different angle.  I wondered what the lake would look like if the sun was shining down on it.
another view of Talbot Lake and up at the ridge
By the time I was almost back down, the sun began to shine a bit brighter.  I debated whether to hike back up but came to my senses and decided against it.  I arrived back to the sandy trail and enjoyed the feeling beneath my feet. 
colourful wildflowers
sandy trail
This is the final stretch of trail just before the parking lot.  
With two nice hikes completed today, it was time to head to my home away from home for some lazy time by the river.  The sun was fully out and it was quite warm making for ideal conditions to sit and sip and savour more entertainment. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.