Friday, August 13, 2021

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary August, Friday the 13, 2021

Today, Friday the 13th, was a lucky day for me!  It started very, very early after giving up trying to get back to sleep.  With chores accomplished before the sun rose,  that left me with time on my hands to be out the door and on my way to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary well before rush hour traffic.  I arrived early enough that the night time watering system was still sprinkling.  I made a mad dash through it!

The birds were already awake and going through their morning routine.  For the Great Blue Heron, that meant just standing high up on a tree branch doing nothing but looking majestic.  An hour later it was still there. 

another Great Blue Heron down by the Bow River

The Northern Waterthrush is a "lifer" for me!  After too much time spent trying to make an identification using my bird book, I contacted the Bird Group and they were quick to help me.  From their comments, seeing this bird was a lucky find.  Yes, Friday the 13th was my lucky day! 


Lesser Yellowlegs

Did my luck run out?  I just missed seeing these two young Eastern Kingbirds being fed.  Now they are crying for a second helping.  I waited and I waited!  They cried and they cried!  I waited!  They cried!  I left!  I needed to get moving, other birds were calling!

While I would prefer to see birds being fed over birds feeding, life does happen and this bird just caught a meal.  I knew I heard what sounded like a hawk, the sound filled the air at the Sanctuary.  I saw lots of rustling in the tree and when I finally found a clearing, this was what I saw.  I believe this could be a Red-Tailed Hawk but I am not positive.  That's its meal at its feet.

another bird of prey, this time an Osprey

Like every other time while being a bird nerd out there, I came away with many photos of birds that were not clear enough to make an ID.   I just say better luck next time with those.  I had more than my fair share of good luck on this Friday the 13th visit to the Sanctuary!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.