Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Pearce Estates & St Patrick's Island August 31, 2021

My wish for today, this last day of August, was to surpass the 100km mark on my latest virtual challenge and to see some pretty sights along with a bird or two.  My plan along the way was to check out the larch location and begin the watch. Although what I remember from last year, the larches change colour later in the city than they do in the mountains. 

I merged into the rush hour migration heading south on Deerfoot yet veered off in short order.  Gloves plus an extra upper layer were needed as I hit the trail from Pearce Estates and headed into the forest.  The sun was up and reached a point where it cast that golden glow over the tree tops.  While weaving through the trees, I happened upon the larch location.  The larches are bare on top with the bottom portion being a healthy vibrant green.

a morning reflection 
While some of the colour is from seasonal change, 
most is the morning golden glow.
early autumn hues

Success was accomplished with seeing pretty sights and a bird or two or three or four!  This photo puts in perspective the size of a Black-Capped Chickadee. I noticed some seeds sitting on a bench so gathered up a few, put my hand out and in a matter of a few seconds along came some takers.  This one grabbed a seed and sat for a few seconds before flying off.  
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Osprey in the nest at St Patrick's Island
Solitary Sandpiper

When I arrived back at my car and checked the distance covered, I knew I was well over the 100km mark on the challenge.  My wishes were granted and it's now time to say good-bye August!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.