Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Healy Pass, Banff National Park September 21, 2021

This is not the prettiest start to the Healy Pass hike but it is the reality of it!  The small temporary dirt parking lot is a bit further away from the trail head than it was last summer.  Heading up here today was my first time since larch season last September.  This stretch was roughly one kilometre of dirt, dust, construction noise and big trucks driving back and forth.  I hiked it as quick as I could!
I located the temporary steep dirt hill up to the trail and then found peace and quiet for the next seven kilometres through the forest.  During that stretch there were two meadows to pass through and this was one of them.  From this area, I knew the colours would be gorgeous higher up. 
Not only was I interested in seeing the larches but now birds capture my attention too.  That means even more times to stop to shoot shots.  This is a Dark-Eyed Junco.  I believe I have seen one of these before but was not able to capture a clear shot to make positive identification.  This time I am certain!
When I reached the opening, then crossed the bridge over Healy Creek, that's when the show began!
I was so happy for what I was seeing!  I hoped for gold and I got it.  That one kilometre along the construction area and then the seven kilometres through the forest is a long way to go so you hope for the best.  I got the gold, the blue sky, some of those fluffy puffy clouds that I love so much and even views of peaks with a dusting of new winter white.  That's The Monarch rising above The Monarch Ramparts.
oh the beauty of it all
The last two kilometres were a very slow go due to all the beauty!  I arrived at Healy Pass and was in awe!  I shared the space with a few others who were out for a day hike and a couple of others who had just ascended from backpacking down at Egypt Lake.
This was my view when I found a large rock beside the trail to settle down on for awhile.  
my destination shot
After investing a fulfilling amount of time at The Pass, I packed up and began the descent back through the most beautiful part.  Just like it was a slow go up, it was going down through here too.  I savoured every single second!
In one of the wide open sections, a pretty little bird was flying about from tree to tree. I had no idea what it was, I did know this was the first time for me seeing something that looked like this.  When I arrived back at my home away from home and checked my bird book and bird pamphlet, I was no further ahead so asked for assistance.  It did not even cross my mind to check the birds of prey section. This is an American Kestrel, the smallest of the birds of prey.  It's so small, so cute and so colourful yet it is a bird of prey! 
feeling the warm embrace of the larch trees
This is nearing the end of the larch show and that bridge 
that leads back into the forest is just around the corner.
a Clark's Nutcracker
I reached the bridge and crossed back over Healy Creek.  
I took one last look back and breathed it all in.

Today's hike up to Healy Pass was everything I hoped it would be!  I felt fulfilled and I was satisfied!  Once back at my car, I had a twenty minute drive to my home away from home where I could put my feet up, relax and sip a cold one.  I also did a bit of homework and put a plan in place for tomorrow!  It's larch season and I want my fill of it!


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I am breathing it all in from my chair. Unbelievably sensational. Magic colour against the snow and sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those colours pop best against a blue sky! So glad to have had lots of blue on this get-away.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.