Monday, September 20, 2021

Ptarmigan Cirque, Highwood Pass, Kananaskis September 20, 2021

With larch season nearing prime time, another get-away was called for!  This time I picked Banff as my home away from home for a few nights. On my way there I took a detour south to the Highwood Pass for a short hike up into Ptarmigan Cirque.  This was my first time for hiking this trail.  It has never been of interest to hike it due to the longer drive and being such a short hike.  Also during larch season it can be over run with other larch enthusiasts like me.   By venturing there early on a Monday morning, I avoided the crowd.  This is a view from the start and I am headed up into the area to the right and below of Mount Rae.

The sign at the trail head!
Not only is this area prime for larches, it is also prime for grizzly bears.
After a short steep grunt up then exiting the forest, this is what you see!
This is the second last day of summer but it felt like late autumn on the verge of winter up here. The only thing lacking was snow on the ground around me.  There were a few larch trees scattered here and there and the majority of them were at that prime golden stage. 
looking to where I am headed
looking back from where I came
In no time at all, I reached the high point of the hike. This location was worthy of taking a little time to savour some snacks and enjoy the scenery.  This type of landscape and colourful ground cover appeals to me.  While it is still summer and feels like winter, it looks like autumn, the season I like to think as being the earthiest. 
I found some snow!
the beginning of a more dense larch tree section
a range of colour change
As I meandered through the forest, a scurry of activity was happening above me.  Then a cone hit me on the head!  A dozen or so White-Winged Crossbill birds, both female and male, were busily foraging for food.  I understand they group together when it gets cold and forage together and also they will probably stay in this area all winter.  This is a female White-Winged Crossbill. 
This is a male White-Winged Crossbill.
After the hike and before hitting the highway north then west to Banff, 
it was time to begin the tea pouring tradition!

My first visit along this trail was a good experience.  The weather was perfect, the trees were prime, the sun shined, parking was no problem arriving early and the crowds were beginning as I was finishing.  My hope is that the larch trees are at the same stage of their life in the Banff area as they were here.   



1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.