Thursday, September 9, 2021

Rowe Lakes at Waterton Lakes National Park September 9, 2021

Lake hikes are plentiful in Waterton Lakes National Park!  I drove by the trailhead for Rowe Lakes many times while driving the Akamina Parkway but I have never hiked into them.  The plan of attack for today would be to hike to both the Lower Rowe Lake and Upper Rowe Lake.  I arrived at the parking lot to see two other vehicles already there, which I was happy about.  I knew others were already on their way to the Lakes or to Lineham Ridge or in the area somewhere backpacking.  This is the view as you begin the hike.  Yes, of course, I took my bear spray.

This location was also burned by the 2017 Kenow wildfires.  
What stark beauty comes from devastation!  
Right from the get go, the September shades were amazing.  
I was thankful the smoke cleared out and the sky was blue.  
Along here, a solo fellow passed me.  His destination was Lineham Ridge.  We were both making loads of noise to announce we were in the area. It was along here where the colours exploded!  It looked exactly like what I had hoped today would look like.  It was a slow go for me with it being so scenic, I savoured every second and every sight.
looking back at the colourful slope I just crossed over
Just like along the Cameron Lake Trail yesterday, this was a busy place with birds but not people.  While I heard a variety of songs, I could not spot all of the singers.  I did spot this Red-Breasted Nuthatch.  This was my first time seeing one of these.
I took the detour up to Lower Rowe Lake. It was a lovely lake but my main destination was the Upper Rowe Lake so I did not stick around for very long.   These mountain lakes are so beautiful and clear.  All of the rocks at the bottom of the photo are under water. 
I heard a familiar song which I first learned about yesterday.  
This time it was an adult Steller's Jay singing. 
It was time to move on up the trail and aim for Upper Rowe Lake.  The trail exits the forest and comes out into a meadow.  From here I had a grand view of pinkish Lineham Ridge behind me.  The ground cover in the meadow was full of sweet September shades.
creek crossing at the end of the meadow
The climb up to Upper Rowe Lake was made user-friendly with a few long gentle switchbacks.  Nearing the top, I could see down to the meadow where I was a little while ago.  I could also see three people on the trail just before the bridge.  If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you will be able to spot the hikers.
What a gorgeous lake!  I invested plenty of time walking around a part of it and hanging out.
This was my lunch time view!
Before leaving, I safely secured a location shot.  The forest behind me is mostly made up of larch trees.  It is still early season so they were still a healthy vibrant green.  In a couple of weeks all that green will be golden orange.  As I began hiking back to the entrance of the lake, I saw the three hikers appear at the lake shore.  We chatted for a bit and then I let them have their turn at outright ownership.
On the way back, I met quite a few people heading into the lakes.  We exchanged pleasantries.  Most wanted to know what the lakes looked like and what I recommended.  My suggestion was to go to Upper Rowe Lake if they had the time and energy.  The sun was behind me now and I had great views in front of me. It remained a slow ago as I still savoured every second and scene.
view in front of me
I took one last look at the gorgeous work created by Mother Nature. She worked her wonders and created beautiful growth in a burned forest. From here, the trail began descending and after a couple of kilometres, I arrived back at my car.  Today was everything I hoped for and more!     


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.