Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Red Rock Canyon & Cameron Lake at Waterton Lakes National Park September 8, 2021

Many years ago when I took the quiz "Which colour palette season are you?" it was determined I was a "spring"!  But, I love the shades of September!  As summer works its way towards autumn, I enjoy being out amongst the reds, yellows, oranges, crimsons and golds.  Now that the masses have migrated back to week-day city living paired with a weather forecast that looked amazing, I was keen for another trip south for a few days hiking in Waterton Lakes National Park.  The Park will soon be downgrading its access to "Winter in Waterton" level which was another motivator to go now.  This would be my third time here in 2021.  There is enough to see and do in this wild place that makes it a worthy destination.  

After the three hour drive, I had time on my side before I could check into my home away from home.  Both the Red Rock Parkway and the Akamina Parkway are gorgeous drives with scenic sights the whole way and both with beautiful locations at the end of the drive.  

At the end of the Red Rock Parkway, I arrived at Red Rock Canyon.  Smoke arrived over night in southern Alberta from the wildfires in Oregon and Washington in the northwestern United States.  While I could not smell it nor taste it, it did cast a haze over the mountains.  This is a view looking down into the Canyon.  After walking the path along the length of it....

...I found a way down to the canyon bottom.  
It was a nice place to hang out for awhile on this hot day.
It's was time to get on with the day and drive the Akamina Parkway up to Cameron Lake.  I was last up here on July 28th for when I hiked the Carthew Alderson Trek.  No big trek today, this time I hiked the trail that hugs the shore of Cameron Lake.  Of course, I took my bear spray with me!
This is a trail I only discovered today!  You can see the head of the Lake with the boat house and dock in the middle to left in the photo. There was blue sky yet still a smoke haze made for a pink tinge to the scenery.   
a boardwalk section along the way
It was a busy trail with birds but not people.  When I spotted this bird, I knew I was seeing a species I had not seen before.  I had no idea what it was but later when I checked my bird book and bird app, I was excited to learn it was a young Steller's Jay.  I feel a sketching project coming on!
This info was shared with me from another birder.  

The trail comes to an end at a platform that is surrounded by trees.  
This was where I spotted this Mountain Chickadee.  
view along the way

It was time to hike back then drive down to the townsite and check in for a few nights!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.