Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Panorama Meadows, Banff National Park September 22, 2021

What a gift our weather has been this past little while and also for what is in store for days to come!  With it being larch season paired with perfect weather, those are the reasons for staying in Banff and getting my fill of the season without driving back and forth each day.  Just another short jaunt west on the highway to Taylor Lake and Panorama Meadows was the plan for today.  Just like the hike up to Healy Pass yesterday, there are a few kilometres to ascend in the forest where there are no views.  But when the views start, they are relentless!  This photo shows the golden larch trees lit up by the rising sun just before Taylor Lake.
I arrived at Taylor Lake and stopped at one of the backpacking picnic tables to have a snack before ascending further up into Panorama Meadows. Three couples had stayed the night and it must have been a cold one.  To wake up to this though, it would not matter how cold it was I am sure!
With snack time complete, I packed up and aimed for the trail that would take me up to the meadows.  I was up here later in September last year and the larches were beautiful but lots of needles had already fallen to the ground.  Today was prime time!  I am entering the first meadow.
winding through the larch forest
going for that hugged by the larch trees feeling

There was no one that I could see ahead of me but I could hear voices behind me.  This is where I met Ben and Larry. Their goal for today was to reach that ridge on the middle right, Panorama Ridge.  They told me this was an annual trek for them.  I have been up there and it is a beautiful place to be.  (If you happen upon this post, thank you for the information on that first tarn, I found it and yes I did love it!)  I spent quite a bit of time in this area, it was so pretty when the sun hit the trees.
I crossed this creek.
My destination for today was a tarn at the base of the mountain on the left.
arriving at the tarn
my destination shot and snack spot
The meadows were populated with tiny tarns scattered here and there.
When I was heading back, I veered to my right to find the tarn the two gentlemen told me about.  I cannot believe I did not know this existed. There was no trail but it was just a matter of meandering through the larch trees for a few minutes.  I circumnavigated the lake to get this vantage point and to settle on a boulder for awhile.
This has to be the most perfect larch tree I have ever seen!
my snack spot view
Instead of heading back out to the main trail, I followed a faint trail that stayed on this side of the tarn.  This was the view I had as I left the tarn and looked back.
I stuck to the right side of the creek and it took me back to the main trail.
By now many others were just heading up to the meadows.  I worked my way back down to Taylor Lake but did not stick around, I headed for the forest where there are no views and made as quick a trip as possible over the seven kilometres back down to my car.  Then I just had that short jaunt back to my home away from home where I could relax, put my feet up and sip a cold one!



1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.