Monday, November 9, 2020

Barrier Lake Fire Lookout November 9, 2020

As if spending hours recently sketching the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout was not enough of that place, I went for more!  I got that "more" today hiking up to the Lookout itself.  I wanted snow!  I wanted views!  I wanted exercise!  I wanted fresh mountain air!  I wanted to just be out there!     

When I arrived at the trail head parking lot and stepped out of my car, I knew then the hike across that dam would be an adventure on its own. Just before hitting the trail Parks People drove through the lot appearing to be checking things out.  O.K. good they know I am here.  I walked through the trees to the wide open and it hit, the wind was the wildest I have ever experienced crossing the dam.  Construction people were in the area, O.K. good they know I am here.  At times I could not move forward lacking strength to fight the wind.  
I made it across the dam then into the shelter of the forest. I have no photos from when I left the lot until I got to the first view point.  The whole while on the switchbacks I could hear the wind.  It was relentless the entire time.  The wind created snow sculptured ground cover and nice cloud formations.   It was turning into a very photogenic day.  
view towards the Bow Valley Corridor
The higher I climbed the prettier it became.  
view towards Mount Yamnuska 
When I arrived at the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout, I noticed a few changes right away.  It was two years ago when I was last up here.  With the Lookout closed for the season, I was able to get closer views of the property. 
my destination shot
I found a sunny spot to sit and savour some snacks.  While it was sunny I still had to contend with some wind, enough so that I preferred not to perform the tea pouring test.  The spiced gingerbread tea paired quite nicely with the view.  After capturing many photos, fueling up and taking many moments to "remember to breathe", it was time to say good-bye until the next time.
trail in the trees leaving The Lookout
I took a few moments at the main Prairieview View Point and this is where I saw the first of others who ventured here today. We exchanged waves then it was onward and downward time.  I met a dozen or so others along the way.  We are all brave dam crossers today!  
I bundled up and braced myself just before exiting the forest out into the wide open to where I would tackle that dam again.  What a world of difference right here from what I would face in a matter of seconds.  
It was a fight but I did it!  The construction people were still there, O.K. they see I am back.  Barrier Lake had white caps which drew my eye in but it was the whispy clouds over the mountain peaks that really captured my attention.

I arrived back at the parking lot and as I began to gear down, Parks People drove through the lot appearing to be checking things out.  O.K. good they know I am back!  Once in my car, I finished off the spiced gingerbread tea.  I wanted snow, I got it!  I wanted views, I got them!  I wanted exercise, I got it!  I wanted fresh mountain air, I am full of it!  I wanted to just be out there, and now I am back!  I got it all! Homeward Bound! 



1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.