Thursday, November 26, 2020

Ford Knoll & Forgetmenot Pond November 26, 2020

With December just around the corner, it was time to stop putting off one last visit out to the Little Elbow Valley area before the gate is closed on the 1st and remaining closed until May 14th of 2021.  Today was the only day I had open so I put a plan in place to see the sunrise at Forgetmenot Pond then to cross the road and hike the Ford Knoll Loop.  My hope was for a decent day weather-wise and scenery-wise!  

The sky was perking up as I pulled into the parking lot at The Pond.  After gathering my gear for the sunrise walkabout and for the hike, I hit the short path to The Pond and oh what a presentation!  There was just enough pink in the sky, just enough ice, just enough open water, just enough snow, just enough light! 
 
Just Enough = Perfect!  
I placed my camera at water level to capture the underneath side of the slice of ice.


I spent about an hour at The Pond circling it twice.  As the pinks turned to white and the sky became very bright, I left Forgetmenot Pond saying so-long until May of next year.  Now it was time to hike the Ford Knoll Loop.  I did this hike back in October and today I was happy it would feel like a different hike given the different conditions.  The view on the other side of the cattle gate near the trail head.  
view looking back just before entering the forest
It was a quick ascent up to the view point.  No one had been off the main trail to the view point recently as I found my way through untouched snow.  Here you can see down below Route 66 and where it meets with Powderface Trail.  The little indent to the left in the middle of the photo near the bottom is the parking area for the hike up to Powderface Ridge East and where you would turn to get to Forgetmenot Pond.  
perched on a rocky outcrop overlooking Powderface Trail below & Powderface Ridge straight across
It was an enjoyable walk through the forest on a snow packed trail.
I liked that this time there were loads of cloud designs to add character to the views.
While that October visit here had pretty sights, I like it much better with the touches of snow.

no snow to speak of over there on Forgetmenot Ridge
There was a creek crossing near the bottom of the trail.  
The stepping stones were slightly slippery so I took it slowly and surely.  
Safely on the other side, I spent several minutes here admiring such beauty.   
Back at the bottom it was a matter of just following the trail to the cattle gate.
I unhooked the gate and passed through then took one last look back 
once again saying so-long see you in May of 2021.  

While my hope was for a decent day weather-wise & scenery-wide, I got so much more than I hoped for!  



2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.