Monday, November 23, 2020

Powderface Pass November 23, 2020

These days there are still some nice gifts presented to us so I chase after those like crazy!  The weather forecast and driving conditions were to be ideal today for an escape from reality.  There is something about being in the forest lately that I crave yet I still desire those higher up wide open spaces that afford a grand view.  The trail head to Powderface Pass is not too far of a stretch from home and from past experiences here, I was quite sure there would be no crowds to contend with.  I could get my forest fill and my vast vistas plus the extra bonus for today, there was to be no wind!

As I hiked along the dark forest section of the trail, the sky began to light up.  
The clouds appeared more as rays that lit the way.      
The sun is on the verge of peaking through the opening in the bottom of the tallest tree in the middle.
I hoped I had timed it right and sure enough I did.  Just as I broke through the forest to the Pass, the sun rose above the ridge.  Once the sun was fully up, the few clouds that did decorate the sky quickly disappeared.  There was no wind, it was not frigid, these negatives were positives.  
The whole pass lit up!  
I lit up too!
There was no need to seek shelter today for snack time.  I settled myself in a wide open space where I felt the sun on my shoulders, had the full stretch of Nihahi before me and to my ears I heard nothing but the birds singing sweet songs.  My beverage of choice was decaf chai latte paired with a teaspoon of hot chocolate powder.  
My summit visit was not complete yet so I meandered around the Pass to see a few more sights and secure some more shots.  In places the snow had drifted and created a smooth canvas for a shadow to lay upon.   To the left of here there was a beaten trail heading up to Powderface Ridge and I contemplated for a second following it but knew it would not be a smart option for me for today. 
While meandering about I found a slice of ice.  
What a piece of work!  
When I held it towards the sun, this was the outcome!  
I like the little star bursts on the edges of the ice.
I did not see those until I loaded my photos once I got home.

I like how the thoughts that work their way through my mind on the way back from being "out & about" are so different from the thoughts that I begin the day with or the hike with.  At times lately it takes time being in our mountain playground  to make me feel like I can deal with whatever the world throws our way these days! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.