Friday, November 6, 2020

Prairie + Powderface Creeks Loop November 6, 2020

With an ideal weather forecast and half a tank of gas, a trip out to Elbow Valley fit the bill.  The window of opportunity for me today was all morning up to noon.  I picked the 3P's Loop knowing I would see lots of pretty sights.  This time I did the loop counter-clockwise.  I included lots of veer offs here and there which upped the distance and gain and the views.   My start time was perfect as the sun began to rise higher and break through the clouds.


Crispy mornings are best for frost details.  
With quietness of morning you don't have to open your ears very wide to hear the birds.
Foliage still holds onto the icy design around the edges.
The Prairie Creek Trail itself was clear of snow and ice.  
The sun shone, the trail was lined with frost covered ground and trees.  
The sky showed off its blue.  
There were so many trees along the way like the one here on the left that I envisioned donned in Christmas decorations.  Yes, that was where my thoughts were going today, Christmas!  What will it look like this year?
Along the Prairie Creek Trail I could see more winter-like weather off in the distance.
zoomed in the full length of my zoom
from frost covered over there to full on green back here
I took a break when I reached this open space with a view.  
I would soon be climbing again and I needed some fuel to get me through the next section.  
I still had seen no one to this point.  
Then it was time to cross the bridge and tackle the Prairie Link Trail.  As soon as I stepped onto the bridge, I felt I was walking into a world of difference.  The bridge was a glaze of ice as was the railing.  I very gingerly worked my way across to the other side.  
I hiked up into a dark forest with the sky now grey, the trail covered in snow and ice in spots.
I descended down the Prairie Link Trail and arrived at the intersection to where I would veer left to continue on the Powderface Creek Trail.  It was winter like over here on this side.  No sun, no blue sky, no clear trail but beautiful in that winter wonderland way. The connector sign is in two pieces laying on the ground, not sure how that happened.   
more frosty goodness
I only had a few kilometres left that looked mostly like this until the last part in the forest.  

Elbow Valley area has been a go-to place for me this year more-so than any other year.  With only a few  more weeks before the gate closes, I know I need to get back out to the far end of it again to hold me over until next year!    

 

2 comments:

  1. Eek, I haven't had time to read blogs for a while and missed your move over here. Time to catch up. We have wintery weather also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me again! Enjoy your wintery weather!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.