Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Banff Johnson Lake & Area December 8, 2020

What was I thinking!  With skates in car, I aimed west with intentions of etching some designs on wild ice.  With lots of wind lately and no snow for days on end, skating conditions would be ideal.  Or so I thought! Even though we are well into December, it has been warming up as if we were on the verge of spring.  So when I arrived at Johnson Lake in Banff National Park this was what I was presented with!  What was ice?  What was water?  My skates remained in the trunk.

I had to "save the day"!   With hiking boots and spikes in car along with skates at least I was lacing something up and better my boots than nothing.  I did the short hike around the entire circumference of Johnson Lake.  

There were reflections everywhere, in the ice and in the water.  
I still could not tell what was ice and what was water!


When I finished the hike, time was still on my side so I drove into Banff townsite to stop by Bow Falls and wander around that area.  The sights were something to see today and there were so many framing opportunities.  
Is it water?  Is it ice?
With still time to spare, I left the townsite to check out Cascade Ponds.
Today there would be no skating at all.  
It was time to check in and put my skates away and my feet up!  I picked a stand alone cabin that included everything necessary to be self sufficient and called this my home away from home for a few days.
I will skate another day!
sweet home away from sweet home 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.