Monday, December 28, 2020

Sulphur Mountain December 28, 2020

With the highway west now being bare and dry, it was go time!  Back to Banff! Back up Sulphur Mountain!  Back to being caught up in all the snow!  Back to feeling my heart full of joy!  The drive west was a breeze and beautiful, thank you for that.  There were so many spots along the way where I wanted to pull over and just take in the view.  I always say that but I never do it, one day I will though.      
Geared up and raring to go, I aimed for the trail head to follow the numerous switchbacks up the 700 metres or so of elevation gain.  I was liking the look of the sky and the trail conditions.  I hoped to be able to continue "liking" the further up I went and as time passed.  
view through the trees 
There is a load of snow here and thankfully the trail was well packed down.  
I arrived at the platform near the Gondola Station and was greeted by an employee who was clearing the area of the recent snow.  Clouds, fog and snow were swirling about.  You can somewhat see the Cosmic Ray Station to the far right.  It was time to remove my spikes and don my down then enjoy some time up here.  
❄let it snow❄
view of Mount Rundle
view of Banff townsite and surrounding area
The ice sculpture is a new feature for this winter.
relaxing, not for long, brrrrrr on the bum 
view towards the boardwalk and Cosmic Ray Station
After enjoying the lower level, I donned my mask and entered the station building to access the upper level then removed the mask once I was back outside.  The fire was blazing so I used it to warm up a bit while taking in the scenery.  There was just enough blue in the sky and the right amount of clouds all packaged together with so much new snow to create a most perfect sight. 
a ring of fire
view from over on the sunny side of the observation deck
My intentions were to hike back down after my visit at the top.  So back on went the mask, I entered the building to access the exit level to the trail and in a matter of two minutes that took, I now wanted to hop a gondola for a swift ride down.  I purchased a one way ticket, boarded a gondola and in a matter of minutes I was back down.  This was the path that led me back to the upper parking lot and back to my car.

By now both parking lots were very busy, for those riding the gondola up and for those choosing to hike up.  I was glad I started hiking up at 9:30 instead of now.  As it turned out the "liking" did continue for the entire time here, thank you for that and also thank you once again for the drive back east being a breeze and beautiful.   


2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by how much you get out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems lately I need to be out there more than ever, it helps with keeping my thoughts in a positive place.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.