Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Bow Valley: Middle & Montane & River December 1, 2020

December in the Bow Valley!  That's where I choose to kick off the last month of THIS year! I wanted nothing but a little simple quiet escape to where I could just wander about snow-free, spike-free, pole-free.      There are many trails scattered all around this part of the Bow Valley Provincial Park, offering a variety of scenery types.  It is possible to make it a short excursion or a lengthy day, I went for in between.   

My starting point was the parking lot at Middle Lake.  The moon just dipped below the mountains and the sun was beginning its day.  Before doing the hike through the forest around the Lake, I went down to the edge to capture a beautiful alpenglow reflection shot in the ice.  There is no open water left yet the ice still looked thin.        

After completing the Lake Loop and before heading down towards the Bow River, I went back to where I started my morning to secure another photo of the morning glow, this time a shadow shot.  It's scenery like this that reinforces me to stay as a morning person!  
Using pathways and closed roadways, I made my way down to the Bow River.  It is still fast flowing plus frigid looking.  There was less snow here than when I hiked here back in October. Yet, there was more ice.   That's what I came for, the ice!  I did get down on my knees to confirm that yes it is becoming bubble season.    
There are many paths that lead off the main trail down to the edge of the River.  I ventured down many of them to witness views like this.  The sun was beginning to rise above the trees and it shed just enough light to add some bright.
I hiked along the River for quite a distance and then veered off into the campground to find a campsite to sit and sip and snack. It was just me and some birds.  The route I took when I left the campsite took me through a playground, by the amphitheater and up onto the Montane Trail. There was no snow nor ice, just rock solid bare ground to hike on.  It looked more like early autumn yet it felt like winter with the wind that picked up and adding a windchill.  A few hours later....
.....I arrived back at the Middle Lake parking lot.  
I had tea and snacks left so enjoyed more outdoorsy time 
in the fresh cold air surrounded by pretty scenery.  

Yes, Hello December!
What a pleasant introduction you offered today!



1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.