Thursday, December 10, 2020

Banff Spray River Loop December 10, 2020

I like short sails to starts!  A few minutes after leaving from my front door, I pulled into the parking lot to where I would begin the hike for the Spray River Loop.  I completed this hike once before and it was around this time last year.  I knew I would be in for loads of tree hugs but I did not expect loads of golden glows!   I like being amongst the snow laden trees all the while hearing the sound of the river running.
The loop is normally a X-C Ski trail at this time of year but as unusual as everything else is this year, today the route was hard packed snow and ice.  Actually the conditions were ideal for a spike hike.  Shortly after leaving the parking lot, I headed downhill to cross the bridge to the other side.
view of the Banff Springs Hotel in the middle just above the lower trees
looking back at the bridge that I just crossed
The trail follows very close to the river for the first little while after crossing the bridge.
After a short climb, the tree lined trail begins and goes on for a few kilometres all the while offering golden glow moments.   The trail is narrow and winding and lined with very tall trees.  It was an effortless trail to hike along. 
more golden glow moments from the trail bottom to the tree tops
The sun never does get very high at this time of year here.  
view along the way
I reached the backcountry campground entrance so entered in.  
No one had stayed the night but someone had been to enjoy a fire.  
The golden glow found its way into every spot possible.
Time for another bridge crossing.....  
.....and time to take some time!  
Now it was time to begin the hike back on the other side of the Spray River.  
There are a few opportunities to get to the meadows that line the river.  
Here you can find Mother Nature's delicate designs.  
mountain view from the meadow
the meadow was covered in these delightful dainty delicate designs

These features are absolutely beautiful!  To capture this I needed to get down and be one with the ground  This, trying to be tall, treelet is actually about three inches in height.  Each crystal is so perfect and pretty. These sights remind me why I love the cold so much!
I made my way back onto the main trail and followed it for a few more kilometres.  
The openings were very few now and this was one of the last framing opportunities.

Between basking in all the golden glow moments and witnessing the amazing works by Mother Nature, I was now ready to take all those feel good memories with me back to my home away from home.  With my feet up by the fire, a glass of white wine in one hand and a slice of maple fudge in the other, there was no letting up with the feeling good!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.