Monday, December 13, 2021

a sweet skate at Bowness December 13, 2021

I have been waiting for this day!  It felt so good, it felt so right, to lace up my skates and create etchings in the ice for the first time this season! My skates were sharpened back in October and have been sitting at my front door for when The Ice Trail at Bowness Park opened for business. It's go time!  I like skating when the lights are bright along the Trail but I did not want to skate in the dark for my first skate this season.  My timing was right to see the lights for the first few laps.  The Ice Trail is ready yet the Lagoon is not nor are the connecting trails but that should change soon given our weather forecast for the next little while.  The conditions of the Ice Trail will improve too as the days pass.   
I parked close to The Ice Trail and put my skates on at my car then carefully walked a few feet to the ice and off I went.  There was no one else skating but there was an employee who was walking the trail with a snow blower to blow the snow off the ice.  I did my best to stay out of his way. 
It was a cold and frosty morning skating by the Bow River.   
frosty needles on the trees that lined the trail
the fire pit is ready
view across the Bow River
An hour and a half of skating for the first time this season was enough.  I used muscles that had not been used since this past March and I did not want to pay the price for over-doing a good thing.  My hair was frosty, my cheeks were pink and I felt fulfilled from this first skate!  
This map shows the route I skated.  The crossings in the middle sections was where I wanted to get out of the way of the snow blower.  Soon the trails will open that connect from the Ice Trail to the lagoon and also the trails that lead off the lagoon under bridges and along side forests.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.