Monday, December 6, 2021

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary December 5, 2021

Today was the perfect day to experience what early winter-like living is like for the locals at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  I went with no expectations other than to move fast to stay warm while collecting kilometres and to enjoy the scenery.  I did have a wish which has been a wish ever since my bird nerd friend told me about this.  My wish is to see a little Black-Capped Chickadee with its feathers all puffed up to help keep it warm.  With a windchill of -22C this morning, I wondered would that be cold enough to make my wish come true!  

This was the sign just before the entrance.  It was covered in snow from last night, so when I brushed the snow off and saw this, I had a chuckle! I could see the pathways would be slippery for some, I donned my big grip boots so it was a safe go for me.   

The sight of a Christmas ball sitting in the snow in the middle of the frozen lagoon puzzled me.  I spotted two more in other areas. It crossed my mind that big birds may have plucked them off decorated trees in the close by neighbourhood and then dropped them while in flight.  I heard they pick up golf balls and drop them along the way and I have seen that.  
view along the trail
There were a number of Chickadees flitting about.  This one stayed still long enough and it let me get close to capture this photo.  Its feathers are puffed up somewhat and I was happy I got to see that.  I know they get puffier but this morning was probably not cold enough for a full on puff up.
This is an unusual position for a White-Breasted Nuthatch to be in.  The feathers are quite full and it looked like a little puff ball.  It stayed still for quite some time then flew off, as soon as I got my shot, I took off, it was not a user friendly enough day to stand still for very long.
A handful of Mallard Ducks swan about in the open water section of the Lagoon.  
This female had a layer of snow on her back.  
When I arrived at the shore of the Bow River there were hundreds and hundreds of Canada Geese going about their morning.  I braced against the cold and enjoyed the show.  They were very vocal,  some were squatted in place and stayed there while others moved about on the ice.  It was humorous to watch them gingerly walk across the ice slowly placing one foot at a time as they headed for the open water. They would eventually break through the ice, their wings would be all up in the air and then they would swim off. 
a lone Common Goldeneye finding a clear path through the ice
two male Mallards maneuvering through the ice
a section of the open lagoon

As more blue filled the sky, it got prettier and prettier at the Sanctuary.  A couple of hours was all I needed to feel fulfilled from what I saw and the distance I covered.  It was time to head on home for a cup of hot chocolate and get ready for the new week.  



2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a bird sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to have this wonderful facility so close to home!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.