Sunday, December 12, 2021

what recent successes look like

This was a reward where the anticipation of receiving it was up there.  The medal for completing the Road to Hana Virtual Challenge was in the mailbox when I arrived home from my get-away to Banff.  It's a beautiful piece of artwork and with the ribbon being replaced by a lei, this makes it unique to Hawaii.  All along I had an idea of how to document this success so I took the medal with me for a sunrise hike up on The Hill.  The thoughts of a Maui sunrise, the warm ocean breeze, sand between your toes, the soft shades in the lei all pair perfectly with today's reality.  I included a close up photo of the medal's front and back.  


The Black Friday sales were enticing and I wanted to be a part of the hoopla.  The Cornell Lab Bird Academy had a Black Friday year end sale on their on-line courses.  I opted to invest my cash there rather than in a physical item.  There were many courses to choose from.  I picked a basic one called "Joy of Birdwatching".  When I would be "out & about" with my bird nerd friend, he would offer advice on ways to identify birds.  I knew I had so much to learn so this course was perfect in giving me a chance at having more success with knowing what I was hearing and what I was seeing.  With winter setting in, it is not the  busiest time with bird watching but it is certainly a great time to be learning all about it, so I an setting my sights on another bird course that goes into a bit more depth. 


A couple of weeks ago, I laid the graphite pencil work on a piece of Bristol smooth depicting a warm homey cozy setting that offered a view to the cold wintry outside world. When the time was right, I would bring this sketch to life with colour.  That time came when I spent a few days in Banff.  After each day of being "out & about" there, I came back to my home away from home, sparked a fire, poured a glass of white and settled in front of my window with a view to bring this window with a view to life. I look at this piece and see success in that I sense that feeling of being warm and cozy.    



4 comments:

  1. You have found success in every possible way!
    Completion of the Road to Hana Virtual Way, your developing birding skills, incredible, meaningful sketches and in finding happiness in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days ago I had Chinese food for dinner and my fortune cookie said "happy thoughts happy life"!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. One of the days I took the back streets through Banff to get back to where I was staying. I recognized the place you were staying at when we picked you up to go hiking.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.