Sunday, December 19, 2021

Carburn Park December 19, 2021

With camera and warm layers in tow, I headed to Carburn Park just after sunrise with hopes of seeing some wildlife and pretty sights.  The Park was very quiet for my entire visit, I imagine people prefer to be at home when the windchill hits -25C.  Even after many days of frigid temperatures, the skating rink is still not ready for the little ones.  Later in the morning the parks people were drilling to test the ice depth.  

view along the Bow River
a little lagoon off the Bow River is frozen and shows off a gorgeous reflection
I took the trail that leads through the forest to a creek that runs from the Bow River.  
This is a favourite spot of mine, it's where the birds bathe in the warmer weather.    
There was no bathing happening today but I did spot a Wilson's Snipe.  It was my first time for seeing this species.  Movement caught my eye and a few seconds later I saw it as it blended in with the water and the rocks.  
The Black-Capped Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers were intent on trying to eat their quota for the day.  During the cold months, the Chickadees need to eat three times their body weight in food each day.  I was surprised when a male Downy Woodpecker came for a snack, that is him in the left and right photos with a  Chickadee in the middle. 
ice sculpture decorating a rock on the edge of the river
There was lots of nature to enjoy even though it was bitterly cold.  The Common Goldeneye spent more time under water than he did swimming along.  The squirrel stayed crouched in this position against the tree.  I realized it found protection from the wind.  The White-Breasted Nuthatch peeked out every now and then.  The deer was staying warm curled up in the bush after having breakfast.  The American Dipper dipped in and out of the Bow River sharing the area with hundreds of geese and ducks.  
  I took a tiny detour to check out a few more sights before calling it a day.   
in the snow globe

Two hours later, now with a red nose & cheeks and fingers feeling frosty, I was ready for warmth!



2 comments:

  1. How cool to have the woodpecker and chickadee land in your hand! That doesn't happen with the birds where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is obvious they are used to this in the local parks during the cold months. It melted my heart when the woodpecker dropped by.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.