Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Banff National Park Marsh Loop & Area December 8, 2021

Today's plans changed by the hour then by the minute.  I tried my best to "save the day"  yet that was not an easy task.  While I came to Banff National Park for the snow, today the snow got in the way.  Given what the forecast was for today, I was not going to work hard to get to where there would be no big views,  I also did not want to be somewhere and have to endure white conditions either while hiking or driving.  

I started out with the easy Marsh Loop near the Cave and Basin.  I had not been there before.  There were a few flurries falling yet it was enough to obscure any far off views.  I wanted to cover at least 10kms today so this was a good start.

on the boardwalks over the marsh lands
The snow turned into more than just flurries so I...
....headed to the viewing blind for shelter.
When it began to only be flurries again, I headed out towards the trail to Sundance Canyon with now having intentions to get out there and complete the full loop around it.  There was promise in the sky!
I could somewhat see the mountains until...
...just like that deja vu, the flurries turned into more than just flurries!  There was no shelter to seek out  here in the open.  The snow was steady and heavy and wet . I thought it wise to do a turn about and get back to my car and back to my home away from home where I would be safe and dry and could see something.   
I slowly and safely made it back.  I did not wait until evening to get the fire going this time.  Once the fire was crackling, I poured a glass of wine, opened a bag of bar-b-que chips and ...
...enjoyed the view outside my living room window.  
The snow eventually stopped then the plows went through to clear the road. I was quite content to stay put and enjoy how I ended up finally saving the balance of the day.  



2 comments:

  1. My dream is to someday go to Banff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that dream comes true for you! There are places out in the backcountry of Banff National Park that have your name written all over them!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.