Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Banff National Park Johnston Canyon December 7, 2021

The best time to hike Johnston Canyon is early on a weekday before or after the Christmas busy season.  Today fit that time frame.  The forecast was for cold enough, lots of previous snowfall, and a nice big blue sky.  Those are ideal conditions for me when it comes time to experience a winter-wonderland.  The parking lot was empty when I arrived.  Two parks vehicles came a few minutes later to attend to the facilities.  

the beginning of the trail to Johnston Canyon
view while walking the catwalk through the Canyon
It was a treat to have the area to myself.  
I took time to enjoy the views.
Early morning here is always on the darker dull side as the sun is still behind the trees.
frozen falls 
This time I did not go down to the cave, rather I enjoyed the overall view from above.
I heard this bird before I saw it.  It's an American Dipper! It was entertaining to watch as it bounced about then dove off the ice into the water then surfaced again a few seconds later.  It did this over and over and over again.  
The catwalk that leads to the Upper Falls and the platforms, to see the frozen icefalls up close and watch the ice climbers, was closed.  I remember reading repairs were necessary. 
There was a spot higher up that offered great views.  
Look closely, can you spot the ice climber!  I took this photo while on the hike back out.

From Johnston Canyon you can carry on along the trail up and then down to The Ink Pots.  
That's where I went next!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.