Friday, March 26, 2021

urban nature

I lived the urban lifestyle this week gathering kilometres each day towards the virtual challenge.  After last weeks escape south to Waterton Lakes National Park, I felt quite content to drive city roads rather than hit the highway.  We will see how long the contentment lasts.  My urban hikes have a renewed purpose these days and that is witnessing spring in the making.  The birds are returning to our city, the ice and snow are melting, wildlife is waking and the spring snow storms are a sure sign of spring!

After seeing two robins up on Nose Hill, I knew it was time to return to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  While strolling around, snapping a few shots, a gentleman asked did I see anything interesting or have any success, to which I replied, "not really"!  That was what I felt at that second in time, but once I loaded my photos at home, I realized I saw lots that was interesting and had much success.  My favourite photo of the day was the one in the bottom right of the first collage of the chickadee flicking the snow.  I also saw a northern flicker, a robin, and a european starling. 

In addition to the above birds,  
I saw of course lots of Canada geese, wood ducks and common mergansers.    
There were many mallards but I left those photos in the album.  
As each day passes, as more snow melts, as the temperatures grow warmer, 
more birds will return to the Sanctuary which means I will return again, soon.  


There are sure signs of spring up on Nose Hill and down along Nose Creek.  The lake is back at Nose Hill and for the first time ever I saw Canada geese floating in it.  The coyotes are out!  During an early morning walk along The Creek, this coyote howled like there was no tomorrow.  I believe it may have been guarding a den full of spring-time babies.  A few times recently we have received "thunder snow".  After the most recent event, I went for a walk to check it out.  In a couple of weeks a real sign of spring will appear at both these locations, and I will be on the lookout.  Crocus season is just around the corner!



2 comments:

  1. Goodbye winter. Hello spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the wildlife photos & 🤞spring weather vs calendar spring is close! Norma

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.