Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Waterton Lakes National Park March 17, 2021

At this time of year in Waterton Lakes National Park, locations to hike are very limited due to avalanche conditions.  Before booking this escape I verified there would be sufficient places to explore to make for a worthwhile, rewarding and fulfilling getaway. My verification proved positive with finding enough to fill the hours.

Today was a triple pleasure day!  

It's a mere five minute walk to the shore of Waterton Lake from my suite.  I timed it to arrive before sunrise with hopes of seeing something spectacular.  There was not a cloud in the sky which meant a lack-lustre show.  The alpenglow presentation made up in tenfold though.  This is Crandell Mountain and the rounded Bears Hump attached to the left of it glowing and reflecting.     

Crandell Mountain and The Prince of Wales Hotel
Bertha Peak showing off her early morning glow
After witnessing the beginning of another beautiful day, I headed back to my suite to get ready for a day of being "out & about" around this beautiful piece of paradise.  I started with a hike up Bears Hump.  It was best to do this location first before the sun warms up the trail and turns it into treacherous conditions.  My spikes were my confidence for a safe ascent and descent.
I arrived at the summit of Bears Hump to an amazing view.  The sun felt warm yet there was still a nip in the air and a very slight breeze. While  most of the townsite is open for walking around, the far end of Evergreen Ave is closed along with the area west of Cameron Creek and south of Cameron Falls.  Cameron Falls are open to view.  As you can see in the right of the photo, that whole stretch is avalanche terrain and the concerns for it to go were high.  
Waterton Lake  and Waterton Townsite
enjoying complete ownership of the Bears Hump
After investing enough time to reach fulfillment level here, I packed up to begin the descent.  It was a slow go on the steep icy sections.  Just before leaving the summit I spotted this frozen pool of water.  It was crystal clear enough to see the rocks through the ice.  I love heart shaped sights like this!  
A hop, skip and a jump back down the road towards the townsite is the turnoff for the Akamina Parkway.  Like the Red Rock Parkway this road is also closed in winter yet much further down the road is where the barricade is at Little Prairie Parking Lot.  It has been years since I was along this road.  It had been closed due to the fire in 2017 and since then loads of work was completed.  Even the Little Prairie Day Use parking area is expanded and improved so much more user friendly during winter months. 

 view while driving along the Akamina Parkway
The views are much wider along the Parkway now since the forest fire. 
There were a couple of cars in the parking lot when I arrived so I knew I was not alone a way out here in this wild desolate area at this time of year.  While gearing up two couples drove up who had the same intentions as me, hiking to Cameron Lake.  This is near the beginning of the closed Akamina Parkway and  the road to hike, ski, snowshoe to Cameron Lake.    
getting closer
Cameron Lake sits at the base of that mountain and glacier
There is still loads of snow here.
I arrived at the beginning of the lake and could see a path straight ahead for as far as the eye could see.  
the view as I make my way across Cameron Lake
The path carried on but I picked this to be my turn around spot.  
looking back to the beginning of Cameron Lake which you cannot see in this photo
I arrived back at the lakeshore and chatted with one of the couples who arrived at the parking lot just as I was about to begin hiking.  We exchanged pleasantries then went on with our day, mine beginning the hike back and them heading out a bit on the lake.  The view heading back was just as beautiful as on the way in.  I met no one else coming in.  I did hear voices and see gear at the Alpine Hut on my right as I walked by.

What a day!  What I had left on the agenda for today was to now head back to my home away from home, unpack, clean up then relax.  I stretched out on the swinging lounge on my balcony, sipping a beer and soaking in the sunshine.  That's the life!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.