Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Waterton Lakes National Park March 16, 2021

After my escape to Waterton Lakes National Park last July, I knew I wanted to go back again in another season.   At that time I was thinking the season would be early autumn.  As it turned out summer finished, autumn passed me by, winter came and now while winter is on the way out, on my way I went, back to Waterton Lakes National Park.  Note to self: go back in early autumn of this year.  

I love Waterton in the dead of winter, I have experienced it twice but boy oh boy being there at the end of winter could not have been more perfect.  With travel restrictions still in place, with unusually warm weather, then those paired with accommodation prices that were low low, I had to go!  For my entire time in Waterton, while out & about on the trails, exploring around the town, I encountered eight people that were close enough to share pleasantries with and about twenty others who were sightings off in the distance.    

 entering Waterton Lakes National Park

Before passing through the gate, I drove to the Waskinonge Viewpoint to have a view.  This time I walked the trail down to the edge of the Lake which was doable with the ground still being frozen enough.  With minimal wind, I was able to experience this amazing reflection.  
I drove to the gate, verified with the Park Warden that my Park Pass was still valid even with a January 2021 expiry date, then was on my way to the Red Rock Parkway.  At this time of year the road is barricaded but you are still permitted to access the road and trails by foot or bike.  There is a large official parking lot just before the barricade, from there I hiked the trail that parallels the Parkway.   
The scenery, the ground beneath my feet, the fresh air, the warmth, the peacefulness were all so appealing to every single sense.  Being on the verge of spring, I had my bear spray close at hand and paid close attention to my surroundings.  It was a comfortable place to be with the wide open spaces where I could see forever.  
on the trail above the Red Rock Parkway
little red rocks marked my way
view along the way with a warm wind
I admired this line of aspens that goes on and on from a distance last July, this time I hiked along side them.  The entire area was clear of snow, no extra gear was necessary other than hiking boots.   
I reached the bear display at the Bellvue Prairie Trailhead.  
It was snack time, relax time, fun time!
Soon the Parkway will be open and the traffic will be relentless.  Today I shared the area with two fat bikers.  They carried on further but this was my turn around point.  From here I crossed to the other side of the Parkway and followed another trail back.
With some time still on my side, I walked up the Prince of Wales Hill from Linnet Lake.  
The Prince of Wales Hotel is still closed for the season.  
view of Waterton Lake and the Waterton Townsite
that's Montana at the far end of the Lake
I checked into my home away from home.  After unpacking, changing and cleaning up, I sat on the swinging lounge on my balcony sipping a cold one while the warmth of the sun fueled my soul.  The slanted roof sheltered me from the wind and framed my view.  
The stars aligned perfectly!  How today transpired was reassuring that coming here at this time of year, in the year 2021, was a wise choice!  I appreciate being able to experience the wildness of a wild place.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.