Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Amsterdam Austria Adventure June 2024 "A Final Framing"


Slowly but surely that jet lag embrace is loosening its grip although I'm not fully fighting it.  In the wee hours of these two mornings, I let my mind wander back to the first seventeen days of June and put together "A Final Framing" of this dream adventure!  I remember as a little girl, Austria looked like a world all of its own, a world away, unreachable, untouchable.  Right now, this trip to Amsterdam and Austria is so very fresh yet I am sure as the days, weeks and months pass, it will feel like a dream!  I will be sure to remember this dream that came true with the wonderful memories I made!

As I sat with my feet up donned in my new felt clog slippers, I perused though the 1700 special seconds in time that I captured and picked out a few from Amsterdam, Innsbruck and Neustift that very easily brought me back to that special second and made me feel the feeling I felt so vividly.  




Everything about Amsterdam and both Innsbruck & Neustift Austria far exceeded my expectations even though they were as I dreamed they might be.  This style of adventure suited me to a "T".  For the price paid to travel to this other world, I wanted no regrets or disappointments.  I was on my own time schedule.    The only times that were set in stone were flights and dining at the resort.   Never once did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe being in any location.  Even though at times in Amsterdam, I needed to use google maps to find my way around, I still needed at times to ask for additional help in finding my way.  Anyone I spoke with spoke fluent English and were very helpful.

I was so very fortunate that all accommodations, other than one, were ready upon my arrival even if I did arrive four hours earlier than check in time.  All four flights were on time, two with KLM and two with Transavia.  For all four flights the online check-in, baggage check, security and passport control were a breeze.  The one flight I was most anxious about was managing the whole process at the Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to fly back home.  I stayed at an airport hotel the night before.  The hotel shuttle left at 8:30 am, dropped me off at the airport at 8:40am, I did self baggage check, went through passport control, went through security, came out the other end.  I looked at my watch, it was 9:15am.  The two shuttle services that I used along with taxi services and taking a bus, all went well.  

The resort I stayed at in Neustift was absolutely amazing.  The employees were all so very friendly and all spoke english.  My room was extra special, it came with many added unique touches.  I enjoyed lots of time on the balcony savouring my morning coffee and sunrise, sipping a cold beer at the end of a hike and listening to the village turn quiet at night fall. I did not use any of the pools nor the spa nor the fitness facilities. The food was outstanding and all meals were included!  Breakfast was buffet style and included anything and everything you would want to start your day.  A few of the days I was back for a late lunch, it was buffet style also and there were more than enough delicious items to choose from. Dinner was another story!  It was by candle light with a fresh flower in a vase.  White linen covered the table.  At breakfast you picked your dinner choices.  The courses were called salad, starter, soup, main, desert. In amongst those there were breads, buns and cheeses if you so desired, which I did.  I had wine each evening which I paid extra for.  

Upon arrival for your first dinner, you are given a table and that is where you would sit for each of the breakfasts and dinners.  I got to know most of the people in my section. A couple from West Germany sat next to me, beside them was a young couple also from West Germany with a two year old boy and also a couple from London sat in my section. I met another couple from East Germany who sat in my area.  The couple from West Germany who sat by me for six of the seven days purchased a wood carving from a local carver who had his crafts on display in the lobby.  I wanted one, so went out and asked the gentleman if he had another one like theirs, he did not, he offered to make me one and would drop it off the next day.  This is mine, it says "in love with the mountains".  It is made from an Austrian stone pine tree.   
Also made from the Austrian stone pine tree is pine schnapps.  On the second last evening for the couple beside me, at the end of all the dinner courses, they offered to buy me a pine schnapps.  I accepted even though I had already had three glasses of wine.  We made a toast!  It was oh WOW delicious!  They told me the story out these pine trees.  They also told me if I dampen the piece of pine wood, the pine fragrance will fine the air, I tried it and oh WOW again!  

I made detailed maps of my walk and hikes in Neustift using the tracks recorded on my garmin and loaded them onto google earth.  They could use a little more work and detail but I am content with the outcome of each. I did not record my outing for the 10th.   







My laundry is all done and my suitcase is back in the basement.  My two hearts now hang on my fairy light tree.  I ate three stroopwafels so far. My journaling is complete, I paid the last visa payment and this blog post will be the last for this amazing adventure.  I will linger longer with the memories over the next little while. I'm not ready yet to let go of Austria!  The visions will fade as time passes but you can be sure I will be checking back here when I want to relive this dream!   

When the father from West Germany, in my dining section, told his young son Oscar, that I was from Canada away on the other side of the world, Oscar's eyes opened wide as did his month,  as if he knew what his Dad meant.  Maybe one day Oscar will dream that Canada is a world so far away, unreachable, untouchable but will wonder about it and will one day make an adventure dream trip to Canada come true!  



6 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic adventure and special memories you created! ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice closing to this post with the dreams of a little boy. You had the real thing and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! Once again, I see why your daughter goes to Austria every summer!

      Delete
  3. Awesome in every which way! AND, especially the final image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip is still close to my heart, not quite feeling like a dream yet! One day it will look hazy in my mind like that last image.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.