Friday, June 14, 2024

Neustift, Austria June 14, 2024



This morning I will have…..!
A new day dawns in Neustift and I greet it while enjoying a cup of coffee on my balcony.  



Breakfast time rolled around and I arrived first.  My dining friends came a few minutes later.

I decided to wear my new shirt hiking today!

Hiking!  Yes!  That’s what I came here for!  There are many options for hiking once you step off the Elfer Cable Car when it arrives at the top.  Today I headed off in a different direction with hopes of seeing pretty sights and finding that restaurant that’s up there some where.  Very soon after hitting the trail, the views appear.  

There were a few junctions along the way, the signage is excellent, no need to have the navigation app running but I did anyway, it does not use data.

After an hour or so, I arrived at a restaurant but it was not the one I wanted to find.  

The views were amazing even with the bit of cloud. 
After a few more kilometres, I saw something promising through the trees.  After rounding a corner then ascending some more, thee it was.  People were already there and I was ready to join them.

passing by the bar on my way to a table 

 cows were everywhere

I had an idea what the beer menu said but I had no idea what the food menu said.  He brought me an English version of the menu when I asked if he could tell me what the items were. The German menu said Hauswurst mit Rostkartoffeln und Sauerkraut, the English menu said fried sausage with fried potatoes and sauerkraut.  I spent about an hour here enjoying the beauty and working my way through the meal.  I knew I had some elevation gain ahead of me, I knew the beer and the food would not work in my favour for that but I just thought I would suck it up when the time game.

It was a slow go when I had to suck it up, but I did it!  I was so thankful when it was time to descend. I needed to be down there somewhere eventually.
I passed back by that other restaurant and it called my name, it looked so inviting!  I ignored the call and carried on down.


looking back at that restaurant as I passed by
The trail down was very steep, there were many short switchbacks.  It also followed along side a creek flowing downhill. 
A familiar sight that church is!  
Praise be I am  not far from my home away from home now.

pass through the gate 
round the corner 
ten more minutes and I was back 

blue is the cable car ride up
green dot is where I started from the cable car station 
red is my route
orange is where I had lunch
black grid is back home

When I arrived back to my home away from home the wood carving I requested from a local gentleman was waiting for me at the front desk.  


 

6 comments:

  1. Amazing scenery and a perfect place to have lunch. I admire your energy. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the first big elevation gain of the hike was accomplished by cable car!

      Delete
  2. Still more amazing scenery & lunch looks yummy! ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of food! A german fellow sitting at the table beside me looked at it and said "big"!

      Delete
  3. So glad you found the restaurant. What sensational views for dining and hiking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got it right in Europe for hiking with the restaurants and huttes located where they are!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.