Sunday, June 30, 2024

ending June on a birding note

As the mid point of this year draws to a close and as I put together this blog post, while the rain pours down outside, I am also reflecting on how great of a season I've had with baby bird watching.  Ever since I started making an effort at being a better birder, seeing the babies has been such a treat. I have never seen as many as I have this past while.  I question, am I a better birder?  Being more in tune to what I see and hear has afforded me quite the sights!   

It's time to get back to crafting when I"m not "out & about".  With the left over pieces of cord from my previous macrame projects,  I crafted this little bird that now sits close to the trunk on my fairy light tree.  I wanted it to have a bright-eyed and bushy look giving it the effect of being a baby!  


Well before the rain ever began to pelt down today, I ventured back to Carburn Park to collect kilometres and bird sightings.  I wanted to end this last day of June feeling fulfilled from experiencing a successful half of the year.  

First on my agenda was to check out that Yellow Warbler's nest that I reported about on June 22nd and June 25th when I first saw four little ones inside and the second time seeing Mom sitting on the side of the nest. Today when I checked the nest, it was empty.  For a few seconds my heart dropped but then just like that, I heard and saw movement in the bushes.  After moving back and eyeing the bushes, this is what I spied, a baby fledgling Yellow Warbler!  There was more fluttering going on rather than flying.  I saw three while I watched the area and I also saw Mom swoop in with treats for them.  It certainly has that bright-eyed bushy look!  

That same look can be said for this Black-Capped Chickadee!  I think I am looking at my next project, a watercolour painting of a whimsical looking baby Chickadee.  This one was going no where as I approached and when I say approach, I mean still from a distance but using my zoom to a good extent.  

Across the river, the Juvenile Bald Eagle sat perched on the top of a dead tree stump.  It is just a big baby! It flapped its wings awkwardly and it oddly squawked at everything and anything that was around it.  

Watching this sight unfold was the highlight of the day for me! I was not quick enough to take a video.  I saw the female Common Merganser as I walked toward the shore.  Then just like that, the babies came scurrying out from near the edge and hopped on her back.  She gave me the side eye look then swam off.  

off they go

During that visit to the Park back on June 22nd, a fellow told me there was a Robin's nest in the area where we were standing.   While I did not see the nest, I did see an adult Robin bustling about.  Fast forward to today, there were three young Robin's frolicking in the water's edge.  This video shows one of them  


Afterwards, the young Robin flew to this spot a few feet from the water to primp its feathers.  
Mom taught it well!  It was so cute to watch, at times loosing its balance.  

I have been focused on everything related to the babies while being a birder lately, yet I also spent some time admiring what else was in the Park.  This is a Spotted Sandpiper.  I am not going to hazard a guess on the age of this one.  It did look bright-eyed and bushy while another Spotted Sandpiper stayed in the water close by.  


While I watched the Juvenile Bald Eagle, the adult Bald Eagle watched over it.

I have never seen no many Woodpeckers as I did today.  
This is one of dozens, a male Downy Woodpecker.

A pile of Pelicans!

Just like the Woodpeckers, I have never seen as many Cedar Waxwings as I have these past few outings.  There has been loads of activity by them and I am certain there must have been a nest or two in the areas that I visited.   This is just one of the many Waxwings.  

While the rain is pelting down, the thunder is roaring and the sky is being lit by lightning, 

I am saying good-bye to June and look forward to what the next half of this year brings!


7 comments:

  1. You certainly created some amazing memories the first half of 2024…both physically and creatively! Here’s to many more over the rest of the year. 🍷❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta make life happen, can't sit back and let it pass by!

      Delete
  2. You sure have had good luck finding baby birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your birding posts. You’ve had a productive season so far . Lots of material for artwork I’m guessing. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is flying, the baby birds are growing so fast, glad I have time to enjoy them while they are young. Your guess is right about the artwork!

      Delete
  4. Hi Alexandra, I’m truly feeling lucky to have found your blog. You are absolutely becoming a birder and the evidence is in your excellent photography. You have several really wonderful pics in this post! The Juvenile Bald Eagle is an award winner! John

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.