Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Neustift, Austria June 12, 2024

 

With my balcony door open, I could easily hear the rain falling outside when I woke. I picked up my iPad to check the weather.  The rain was forecasted to stop at 7:00am and it did.  After an extra big breakfast, I came back to my room and geared up to hit the hills.  Once again, I went for the short walk to the Elfer Cable Car Station to be whisked away to the top. This was the view of the sundial with mountain peaks peeking through the clouds.  I sighed! So beautiful!

looking up at the Elferhutte with new fallen snow on the trees
first footprints on the platform around the sundial
There are benches along the many trails throughout Neustift and up in the surrounding mountains. 
 

I was excited to get going on the trail.  
I was curious as to what today would have in store.  
I just needed to pass through this gate first!
The hills were alive with the sound of bird songs. 
This is a Willow Tit.

a sketchy section so best to hold onto the cable 
On my, what a slow go along this trail! The scenery was incredible as the clouds danced about giving way to views of the mountains, 

along the trail, stick to the side and don’t look down
a Mistle Thrush 
happily hiking along 

a Goldcrest

That’s the cutest little church away out here.  
Hiking here feels like a true religion!
I came upon a hutte and with time on my side and with lovely weather, I decided to stop by for a visit. All the elevation gain was behind me so I could handle a treat.   
This is where the beer is stored.
I picked a perfect table with a view and the perfect pairing was a beer and an apfelstrudel.
O.K. how the heck did I get roped into assisting with the push again! This was not in the plan!  Somehow after savouring the treats and hiking away from the hutte, I didn’t listen to my nav app and took the wrong turn and eventually ended up where I was on Sunday.  I thought since I’m here I may as well join in again on the effort!  

Spotted Nutcracker 
That little cabin in the woods would do just fine!

another Mistle Thrush

a Common Chaffinch

The birding along this route has been fantastic, I saw and heard many others but was not able to capture photos.  It was a surprise to see a snail on the middle of the trail and it was going at a snail’s pace.  That’s about the pace I felt like I was moving at now.  I was ready to get back to my home away from home.

I picked up the pace and got there!


2 comments:

  1. So glad the weather turned for the better and what glorious photos and scenery yet again! (and the big boys probably appreciated your help again 🤪) ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ending glorious scenery! I figured out how I ended up there once I looked at my gpx tracks when I got home.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.