Friday, June 28, 2024

Challenges & Rewards

⭐While capturing photographs of the colourful buildings along the River Inn in Innsbruck, Austria a few weeks ago, I knew at that time I wanted to create a water-colour painting from one of my photographs.  Before going on that trip, I googled lots about Innsbruck and this view came up at the forefront every time.  I put a challenge out to myself to recreate it!  I even googled lots on how others artists went about that task.  This is my favourite photo of that iconic scene so it is the one I used as my reference.  


My initial thought was how on earth am I going to paint this scene!  There is so much detail in the buildings.  It's been ages since I did a line and wash but that was how I wanted to recreate the buildings and the trees.  I did a pencil sketch first of the buildings and then an outline of the mountain tops.  I used masking fluid to protect the edges of the mountains, the edges of the buildings and the divide between the river and the trees. The sky was painted in a few shades of blue and while still wet, I lifted the paint with a paper towel to create the clouds.  The mountains are many shades of grey to give definition.  It was fun painting the river, to me it looks like it is flowing high and fast.  Using black india ink, I outlined the buildings and the trees.  Once that was dry, then I painted them.  Here you have it, my recreation of this iconic scene in Innsbruck! I am so pleased with the outcome! It felt rewarding to get it how I wanted it to look on the first try!  


⭐Covering the distance along the Camino de Santiago Virtual Challenge has been playing out in the background ever since I crossed the start line on April 19th.  Some days after entering the distance I covered into the app, I got lost in looking at the virtual views at the current location.  At times, my mind drifted off to the thought, could I accomplish something like this in reality? 

This map shows where I am at the end of June 27th.  I am ahead of plan (red marker shows where the pacer is).  I have to admit, early on I adjusted the projected finish date further into the summer. Just the other day, I scaled back when I saw I could finish by the end of July.  
To date these are the statistics. If I am able to keep up the daily distances I have been covering this past while, I should have no problem crossing the finish line by the end of July.  
When the time comes to enter the final distance that will bring me to the finish line, that's when my reward will be on the way.  The medal looks like a beautiful one, just like all the others.  



⭐I have been looking for sites that offer different challenges other than what are offered by The Conqueror Company.   Every now and then Pacer shows up in my feed so I checked it out.  One of their adventure challenges is Amsterdam!  How fitting for me!  My mind is still over there!  I signed up!  

I will attack this virtual challenge at the same time as the Camino challenge. The route starts and finishes outside of Amsterdam.  Many of the areas are places I would loved to have visit while I was there but time was not on my side during that trip.  Maybe someday I will return! Amsterdam is a great stop off location for a few days before carrying on elsewhere. 

Upon completion of this virtual challenge, this will be my reward!  The medal comes apart and the tulip u-shape at the front can be put on a chain to make a necklace.  



⭐The reward of a delicious meal along with an adult beverage looks a little different in Calgary than it does in the Austrian Alps.  We incorporated a stop along the way to have lunch.  There was no concern with eating or drinking too much as there was no elevation gain to contend with after the meal.  A Sangria with Salad on a Breaded Chicken Breast was the perfect pairing. Cheers to our recent trips and future adventures to come!   




3 comments:

  1. No wonder you are thrilled with this water colour! Thanks for the explanation of how it was created. Happy times covering those k's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found some interesting ways to achieve your goals. Great painting. No wonder you're pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both the photo and the painting, well done! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.