Monday, June 3, 2024

Amsterdam, The Netherlands June 3, 2024


I booked a ticket long in advance to visit the Van Gogh Museum for the first thing to do on my first full day in Amsterdam. It was go time this morning!  I got there and I saw the line up of people to get in.  They were the first time slot people, I waited about 15 minutes for my time slot and entered right in. It was a beautiful structure on the outside as well as the inside.  But, it was a museum and they are not my thing. But painting is my thing and I love sunflowers.

I put my pack in a locker then went about doing what you do in a museum. It did not take long before I had enough. I pushed through, found the sunflowers painting, admired it and moved on.
I enjoyed seeing paintings flash across the wall. I walked all halls on all floors.  It was a quick visit for me, I wanted out.


Whew!  I made it!  I was probably in there a tenth of the time that the majority of visitors stayed.  On the way out, I stopped by the gift store to pick up a journal, the sunflower journal.  Dreams start somewhere and I enjoy documenting the dream just like I did for this trip to Europe.  


This is more my style for a big city activity.  I purchased a ticket for a high end canal cruise for two hours during the very late afternoon.  It was an adventure finding my way there even with google maps.  There was so much to see just walking there, I didn’t dare take stops, detours or veer offs.  Our boat is ready, the captain is just waiting for the food.
food and drinks are ready, it’s time to board

We were a group of twelve plus two captains.  
Cheers to a two hour cruise around the Amsterdam canals.

We cruised under countless bridges, along many canals, by loads of history and saw sights of all kinds.  Some canals are lined with house boats which are peoples homes.  


Yes to more wine!

the crocked houses

This was the perfect way to sight see around the big city.  After docking and stepping up a few stairs to the sidewalk, I got google maps in motion and off I went.  Now was the time to stop and see more sights.  I realized yes these houses are crocked, I did not have too much wine!

So many bikes waiting for their owners to ride them back home at the end of a long day.  I was ready to get back to my home away from hime, but I would be walking all the way there. I made it!

Goodnight Amsterdam!



 

8 comments:

  1. That was a very classy canal tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to cruise the canal in my opinion!

      Delete
  2. I found the Van Gogh museum a bit much too. Too many jostling people. Canal trips definitely are the way to go especially with wine. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all museums are the same with the jostling people! Seeing lots of Amsterdam from a seat on the boat was perfect!

      Delete
  3. I soooo agree about museums! And a dinner cruise - what a great way to see the city hilites. Norma ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sit back, relax, let someone else do the navigating! Perfect!

      Delete
  4. Enjoying all the photos ... please keep posting! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came home with 1745 photos! It was a challenge to pick a few to share!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.