Friday, October 2, 2020

Ford Knoll October 2, 2020

We were due for an "out & about" together and the idea of a hike around the Ford Knoll Loop out in Elbow Valley was put out there and the plan to go for it fell into place quickly on short notice.  To that plan we tacked on a lounge-around for afterwards at Forgetmenot Pond putting out feet up while sipping and savouring.  

I arrived at the parking lot a bit early so while I waited for Happy Hiker, I walked around The Pond and through a meadow close by.    The autumn colours were glorious as was the blue sky, fresh air and the scenery. 

a touch of autumn reflecting in Forgetmenot Pond
Upon Happy Hiker's arrival, we chit chatted a bit while gearing up then aimed for a trail across the road on the other side of this fence. Immediately we whipped out our cameras to capture sweet seconds in time.  While the colours caught my eye, it was the wood fence shadow that truly drew me in.  
Lots of the trail is through the forest but when you pop out you really pop out to amazing views.  We went to the edge to get this wide open vista of Powderface Ridge and the dirt winding Powderface Road.  It has been ages since I ventured up onto that Ridge, I think I am due!
Back into the forest we went for another little while then there we go again, popping back out.  This time we popped out to a view of Nihahi Ridge.  We made this our dining stop.  There was nothing but a sky of blue with loads of bright sunshine and that makes it a challenge for me to capture photographs.  I do like the shadows.  
a framed view along the way
As we were nearing where we would begin descending, while admiring the colours and the view of Forgetmenot Ridge, two gentlemen cowboys came up behind us.  They stopped, we exchanged pleasantries for a few minutes and then they trotted off.  They stopped here and little did we know a discussion was taking place about something other than the view.  They did a turn about and came back and offered us their cold bottles of water.  How thoughtful!  When I told them prior that we were heading to The Pond to make tea and that on this hot day I wished we had cold drinks, they thought I meant water!  Once again they trotted off.
We continued on our way down and aimed for the Elbow River to follow it back to the parking lot.  Along the way the wild mustangs came out of the trees in front of us. The stopped here to feed on the foliage.  I told Happy Hiker this was like the icing on the cake today.
At the parking lot we geared down then gathered a new set of gear and picked a picnic table with a view to settle in for awhile sipping and savouring.  What a beautiful October autumn day this was.  We were down to short sleeves, pants rolled up and bare feet.  With such turmoil these days, I thought how thankful I am that I call Calgary, Alberta, Canada my home.  As soon as I downloaded today's track I saw it as a maple leaf.  🍁Oh Canada🍁   




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.