Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The Halfway Hut as I see it

After sketching the log cabin I stayed in while in Jasper in June, I knew I wanted to sketch a similar structure.  It was quite simple to pick one as I have many of the Halfway Hut to choose from.  I wanted the cabin to be the focus and not the trees nor mountains.   I picked bristol vellum to lay the work on as it would give a rough and rugged look.  Lots of work was put into a very detailed grey pencil sketch of the cabin first before adding any colour.  I am pleased with how the cabin, trees, sky and mountains turned out but not so much with the grass and dirt.  I know where I need to invest time in tutorials to accomplish a look I like.   

The Halfway Hut is a great spot for a break while on the way to where ever you are headed in the Skoki Region.  The structure is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building.  It was originally built in 1931 as a shelter for those hiking or skiing from the Lake Louise Train Station to Skoki Lodge. It sits halfway between these two locations.  These days it is used as a spot for a quick rest stop or to take shelter from the weather.  Inside you will only find a bench, a broom and a dust pan.


The first time I saw the Halfway Hut was on October 31, 2009 while on a Hallowe'en hike to Boulder Pass and I have stopped by it every time I hiked or snowshoed in the area, well except twice. While I don't know the exact count and don't feel like figuring it out, I will make a guesstimate of a dozen plus a few occasions give or take one or two.  It is accessible in all seasons.  Over the years I have had the good fortune of venturing this way in winter, spring, summer and autumn on my way either to Boulder Pass, Ptarmigan Lake, Redoubt Lake, Heather Ridge, Fossil Mountain, Packers Peak, Packers Pass, Deception Pass, or Zigadenus Lake and Myosotis Lake.  There are many more places to explore up in that region so I know I will visit the Halfway Hut again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.