Thursday, October 29, 2020

Bow Valley Provincial Park Trails October 29, 2020

West into the Foothills at Bow Valley Provincial Park was today's choice place to fill up on mountain scenery, fresh air & exercise.  Our seasons the past couple of weeks have been predictably fickle.  Today we hiked through the remnants of last week's winter weather with visions of autumn still to be had.  I like how the mix of seasons offers pretty picture opportunities!    

Before meeting my friends, I went for an earlier morning visit to Middle Lake. 
The forecast was for blue sky in the morning, thereafter time to take warning.
We began our hike from the Visitor Centre and spent a little time working our way through the trees before coming out into the open where the views began.  
a picnic spot with a view
morning light on Yamnuska
We arrived at the Campground and followed the entire length of it that sits on the edge of the Bow River.  Between admiring the river views I also checked out campsites along the way to see which ones I might like to stay at a few nights some day.  This one would be perfect for me!  
We were able to step down to the river's edge but there were only a few spots where it was safe to do so at this time of year.  That's when we realized the trumpeter swans were visiting this location.  What a sight to see and to hear!  
It was just us and the swans and their songs!

A gray sky is not my favourite but when it appeared today I liked the look.   
There was just enough open calm water for reflections to be visible.
Just down the trail from here we stopped for lunch.  With a bit of a wind and a higher humidity level, I needed all my layers (five on top) for dining time.  The desire has come once again for pairing a hot beverage with my meal.  Today I choose to add a teaspoon of Rolo hot chocolate powder to chai tea.   The aroma alone was heart warming!  

We had about six kilometres ahead of use after lunch so hit the trail and made our way on official trails with a little bit of off trail.  The not rain, yet not quite snow, sprinkles started and we had that for the balance of our hike.   I always enjoy this area and I am thinking I want another visit here when we are fully into winter-wonderland season.



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful day with the sighting of the swans a real bonus.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.