Sunday, October 11, 2020

Mount Hoffman October 11, 2020

I will call Mount Hoffman "the occasion hike"!  This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I choose this destination to acknowledge that occasion.   The one and only other time I hiked to this summit was to celebrate Remembrance Day on November 11, 2012.  Back on that day and then again today, the motive to hike was all about being thankful!  We do have much to give thanks for if you are open to find it.

It was a quiet quick drive to the trail head and very quiet in the parking lot when I arrived.  I don't get out to this neck of the woods often so today would feel somewhat like a new experience.  Right from the start it felt like a new season, while it's autumn, winter was in the air.
I remember when we hiked this trail on that Remembrance Day back in 2012, route finding played a big part after veering off and beginning the ascent.  Today was a different story, the trail is now very well defined from use.  I was happy to be hiking in the trees which was providing shelter from the strong winds  I could hear the entire time.  I braced myself as I exited the forest for the last push to the top.  
The views were wonderful!
I worked my way to the summit and then donned the extras needed to make for as comfortable a visit as possible.  Heavier gloves, a hat and a down jacket did the trick.  It was nice to have this space to myself.  This is it, this is what I came for!
ground cover just off the summit of Mount Hoffman
I spent lots of time admiring all the sights close up and far off and even invested a little time trying to pour a cup of homemade chai latte.  More ended up on me, on the camera lens and in the air, than in the cup!  There were loads of pink clusters covering the summit and the slopes.  It surprises me what can survive in these wild conditions.
ground meets the mountains meets the sky
The summit business was complete so it was time to begin the trek back.  The views remained rewarding.  As I entered the forest I began to meet others on their way up.  Very soon thereafter it was others after others after others after others.  
I crossed the Sheep River bridge over Tiger Jaws Falls and had the last little climb back to the parking lot.  I was happy to see the blue sky in the direction I was headed for my drive home...
...because behind me it was another story!

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. An awesome way to celebrate Thanksgiving.
    Last year I was on PEI. This year we have a friend whose sister from Toronto has been stranded here since March, so I cooked a turkey dinner for her. The wind was also blowing a gale, so we couldn't eat outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice place to be stranded if you have to be stranded! Hopefully the world gets sorted out and you can be in PEI sometime soon!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.