Thursday, October 15, 2020

Tunnel Mountain October 15, 2020

It's a most beautiful time of the year and I had the urge to be caught up in it all!  Upon the completion of a bit of homework, I knew heading into Banff National Park would hold me captive.  It did exactly that in leaps and bounds with a hike up Tunnel Mountain and a stroll along the Bow River in the Banff townsite.  The drive to Banff itself was gorgeous then once I arrived I knew immediately my urge would be fulfilled!

I parked in the lower parking lot to catch the beginning of the trail up Tunnel Mountain.  I was thankful for the many layers I brought and for my spikes as I needed everything.  Soon after beginning it was time to cross the closed road to the next section of the trail.  As you can see the road was a sheer sheet of ice and for the remainder of the hike there was ice and packed snow making for very slippery conditions.

Along the way there were openings through the trees.  
There's Sulphur Mountain a way over there with the Cosmic Ray Station.
On the way up I met a few others already coming down.  By the time I arrived at the red chairs and this opening, there was no one else around.  I enjoyed some time here doing what I came here to do, getting caught up in a most beautiful time of the year.
Higher up along the trail there is another wide open space and this is the view from there.
That's Banff townsite down below.
There is Sulphur Mountain again with the gondola station in the middle amongst the trees.  
You can see the straight line to the left of the big tree.
That's the route the gondola takes up the side of the mountain.  
view in the other direction looking down at the Banff golf course and the Bow River
On my way back down I met many others on their way up.  
By now the trail was very packed and very icy.  
Once again I was thankful I put spikes on.
I reached my car and then drove back down to the townsite to take a stroll along the Bow River. 
It was still very cold, the air was calm, and the reflections were perfect.  


I like this look where autumn meets winter!


This was a most enjoyable introduction to this season's snow.  
It brings hope of all kinds for the winter to come! 



2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow!
    Sensational, magical beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a magical day in Banff!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.