Friday, October 16, 2020

white on white sketching gone awry

The purpose of this post was supposed to be a report on my wonderful accomplishments of sketching white objects on white paper!  My thinking was with winter on the verge of being upon us, my sketching projects may include snow.  How does one sketch snow on white paper?  I googled how to sketch white objects on white paper and what came up were simple tutorials on sketching white lilies and green lily pads in lily ponds.  I was quite sure I had my own photos of these items to sketch from.  Sure enough on one of my visits back home, my valley friend took me to see the Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens which are situated on six acres of land at Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.  These gardens included numerous Acadian region habitats along with wall gardens, food gardens, medicinal gardens and experimental gardens.  I remember it being such a beautiful, peaceful, soothing place to wander about.

Well, I followed a tutorial which resulted in this being my sketched version of a portion of the lily pad garden we saw.  There are no white colours used, it's the surrounding colours that do the trick. I also incorporated the rain drop effect which I learned in a prior lesson. This is as far as I got with learning how to sketch white on white because...

...I came across other lily and lily pad tutorials which appealed to me.

So that leaves me at this point having no idea how I am going to sketch snow!  
Tutorial time again with hopes of not another distraction!  



2 comments:

  1. Your goal may have not been reached but these results are pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I have so much more to learn.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.